Featured Triumphs and Tribulations

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Emperor Constantius II entered Rome on 28 April 357, it was the first time in his life that he visited Rome.
    Constantius had been in Mediolanum since 353, campaigning against the germans on the Danube frontier and desperately trying to retake northern Gaul from the invading Alemanni; northern Gaul had went to hell in a hand basket ever since Magnentius's defeat at Mursa Major in 353.
    Constantius elevated his young cousin Julian to the rank of Caesar to deal with the crisis in Gaul while he eventually set off for the Eternal city.
    The contemporary historian Ammianus Marcellinus says that the visit was to shore up the Arian Christian Emperor's position with the still largely Pagan Roman Senate and aristocracy, others say it was just a sightseeing tour.
    Constantius entered the city on the 28 of April in a grand triumphal procession. Ammianus notes that it was a hollow victory because Constantius was celebrating his victory over Magnentius and by extension those Romans killed at Mursa Major in 353.
    This didn't seem to bother the Roman people, minus some old crusty Senators, as they had not seen an Emperor in their city since the days of Constantine I; also it would mean extra games!

Here is the description of Constantius's procession into the city from an eyewitness (Ammianus).

"The Emperor was greeted with welcoming cheers, which were echoed from the hills and riverbanks, but in spite of the din he exhibited no emotion, but kept the same impassive air as he commonly wore before his subjects in the provinces... he was like a dummy, gazing straight before him as if his head were in vice and turning neither to right nor left. When a wheel jolted he did not nod, and at no point was he seen to spit or wipe or rub his face or nose or to move his hand"

Clearly Diocletian's "divine Emperor" model was still in effect even after the "christianization" of Rome's Emperors.

Though Constantius may have been a bit serious in the procession he let himself go while he stayed in the city.
    The sources state how he marveled in awe at the great city's columns, arches, and temples. He is said to have compared the glory of Rome's monuments to the ancient Greek and Persian cities he had visited earlier in his life. While in Rome he stayed in the old Flavian Palace on the Palatine hill and hosted games in the adjacent Circus Maximus and nearby Flavian Amphitheater. The people loved Constantius and Constantius loved the people and their city. In gratitude for the hospitality and pleasantness the City had shown him, he shipped an Obelisk from Alexandria and placed it in the Circus Maximus. Constantius basically became a tourist to the City that had created the office he was in, ironic!
    Unfortunately the stay had to be cut short due to the fact that the Sarmatians were causing problems on the Danube frontier.
    I find this little story in Roman history to be very interesting as it shows how the City that had started it all, still could put on a heck of a show!

Here is a Post Reform Siliqua struck by Constantius II between 355 and 361 CE.
    Constantius II AR Siliqua
    2.23 grams
    PCON (Arles) mint
    17mm
    Price= cheap enough that I could afford it!
    unnamed.jpg
    Interestingly enough, Arles is the only mint I have seen that does not depict Constantius with his usual flowing curly hair?

How Constantius II's hair is normally depicted.

sWr32kmCxNK4F7Mi8ZrMKcx6P5qRJS.jpg
    Pictures
    An Artists rendition of Constantius's II triumph.
    e59a881512b3cb1810db2e4dec222276.jpg

The Lateran Obelisk that Constantius II gave to the Senate and People of Rome.
    220px-Obelisk-Lateran.jpg

The Flavian Palace that Constantius stayed at.
    AU0113dDomusFlavia.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice writeup and neat addition. I need a Siliqua or two. I just dont want a clipped one :/

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  4. Magnus Maximus

Good luck!

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

No kidding :(

6. Magnus Maximus

Hey if you ever need help just PM me, I would be more than happy to give you Siliqua fever!:D

Mat likes this.
  7. Magnus Maximus

How rude of me guys and gals!:eggface:
    Please post your Siliquae and LRB's of Constantius II, or coins from the mint of Rome (post 340 CE)

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

two thumbs up.jpg

Very nice and interesting read (I like pictures).

9. Magnus Maximus

Thanks Bing.
    Must be a slow day today :(

10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Great write-up and an awesome coin! It really is a beautiful piece.

11. Bing

There are days like this. You have to wonder where everyone went, eh? In my case, I've been terribly busy readying myself for the trip to Poland next week. It seems everything has to wait until the last minute to get done.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  12. Magnus Maximus

Thanks guys; really missing Steve right about now.:shifty:
    Good luck on your trip to Poland; be safe and be happy!

stevex6 likes this.
  13. Bing

Don't say that too loud. Steve will get a big head if he knows we all miss him. He and I go back a ways. He has always made things interesting with his commentary. ALWAYS. Even to his own detriment.

14. Magnus Maximus

True Dat!

15. Magnus Maximus

Well in the meantime :cool:
    Constantius II AR Pre Reform Siliqua struck 340-355 CE
    3.18 grams
    Constantinople mint
    2Ew9LtM976qC8sSWkm5TBAo74e6WZY-1.jpg

16. Bing

17. Magnus Maximus

Muchas Gracias! Gotta love that black patina!
    Please post your coins Bing!

18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great writeup MM

19. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Nothing to share that I haven't shown already but good write-up.

20. Bing

I don't have any Siliqua, but this is one of my favorite Constantius II
    Constantius II 24.jpg
    CONSTANTIUS II
    AE3
    OBVERSE: D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, soldier spearing fallen horseman who is wearing Phrygian helmet, reaching backwards. ASIS zigzag in ex.
    Struck at Siscia 351-355 AD
    2.39 g, 17 mm
    RIC VIII 352

21. Magnus Maximus

Thanks guys!
    If I have opened your eyes to something you didn't know before, then I have done my job well. You guys have certainly showed/taught me a lot of things I was oblivious of.
    Nice coin Bing!
    Show us more.

Draft saved Draft deleted