Tripolis Probus: Finally Photographed my AMCC 2 Win

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thanks @robinjojo . Really nice silver wash on that coin. These big folles are always so nice in hand!

Thank you Fugio1. I think I might add that link to the OP so I can reference back to it easily in the future.

Wow. Cool Probus coins all @Bing . That last Tripolis example is especially great. Thanks for posting!

Nice Donna. I definitely like the quadriga. That coin has a load of eye appeal.

Nice coin @ambr0zie . Thanks for sharing.

@Clavdivs , have you been hanging out with @Deacon Ray again? :D

Great coin and super cool office art! :artist:
    Well that little headless critter looks familiar :D Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Cucumbor, Clavdivs and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

The last time I talked to SA he said it should be up sometime in January. That was last year so I don’t know if that has changed or not.

These are all truly wonderful coins and I agree the obverse designs on Probus coins are very interesting. Your Adventus and Securitas are really stand outs.

Was I correct in assuming that the tag and envelope are from you or did was the tag already with it when you bought it?

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I was wondering that! I would not, however, have used the phrase "old fool". :D It was nice of you to support Sev and let the rest of us have a chance to acquire a few ex Doug's. :)

In any case, great catch, @Curtisimo! Curious as to why this fool didn't place a bid on that nice coin, I went back to check my AMCC 2 bid records, and discovered the reason:

Clipboard01.jpg

It deserved a higher bid, but at least it went to family. :) And in any case, I did already have a similar Tripolis mint issue; in fact, same as the one Doug kept without the pellet in the reverse legend. I don't have a photo of it, but will try to take one soon.

I did win one Probus at AMCC that I was pretty pleased with. It's an ex @Orfew, also from the Philippe Gysen Collection, and the coin that illustrates RIC 390 on probvs.net :

Probus - ex Gysen ex Orfew Iovi 3957.jpg PROBUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.23g, 23.5mm. Ticinum mint, 2nd emission, AD 276. RIC 390 (R). O: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. R: IOVI CONSERVAT, Emperor standing right, receiving a globe from Jupiter, holding sceptre; VXXT in exergue.
    Ex Orfew Collection (ex Jacquier 45, 14 Sep 2018, lot 1395); ex Philippe Gysen Collection, acquired by him in October 2003

I won three coins in the same auction that were from Doug's collection. My favorite is this Seleukid with its 'wandering' dimple. The photo from the auction is plenty good - not sure if it's Doug's or Sev's - so I didn't bother to try and photograph it myself.

Seleukos IV - AE dimple ex Doug 846826.jpg
    SELEUKID KINGDOM. Seleukos IV
    AE20 Serrate. 7.19g, 20.1mm. Antiochia mint, circa 187-175 BC. SC 1316.2b, HGC 9, 586. O: Wreathed bust of Dionysos right, thyrsos over shoulder; monogram behind. R: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΟΣ/ΑΡ/ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ, prow of galley left.
    Ex Doug Smith Collection, acquired in 1995 from Guy Clark

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I paid $55 US for the coin in 1995 so it went for less than half that when you consider the exchange rate. Guy tended to be high but this coin was not bad enough to get only two bids at that level. I won't be selling many coins unless I what to be rid of them badly enough to take losses. A few went high but the start prices were low so only went high if there were several bids. This was not the biggest one. CNG might have sold it for $60 but would have charged enough in fees that I would have recieved less. However you sell 'ordinary' ancients you can expect to take a loss.

zumbly, Curtisimo and DonnaML like this.
  6. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Educational thread. I only have Tripolis coin of Carinus (need new photo):
    image.jpg

Bing, Johndakerftw, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I love that Probus portrait, @Curtisimo! I really like the unusual, rough style to it, and your photo definitely does it justice. I like the crisp strike too, and the deposits are somehow enhancing. But I'd better shut up now lest Doug regret even more letting it go!

The Tripolis mint is a fascinating numismatic interlude. Here's one from the end of its run, under Diocletian:
    1241455_1592055852.jpg
    This is RIC 333; there's a much nicer one on Warren's page. It is very rare. I was interested in it primarily because it can be dated to the very earliest part of Diocletian's reign in 284, coming just after Numerian's death (murder?), and after he killed Aper in front of the Army in Nicomedia. At this point he only had control over the Eastern mints, so his earliest coins must come from Tripolis, Cyzicus, and Antioch only. As Warren notes on his page, this type is the latest (extremely rare) issue of Carinus at Tripolis, and it stands to reason that Diocletian's first coins continued the type - very, very briefly. (RIC dates only 7 entries to 284 alone, 2 for Antioch and 5 for Tripolis, but I think this is the earliest.)

I note the dot at the end of the reverse legend on mine. This is normally said (including by RIC) to represent an officina mark. Apparently there were only two officinae at Tripolis.

The envelope and tag are both Doug's. The tiny nonsensical square code is what I use to pair descriptions and photos on my spreadsheet, plug into an algorithm to assign the correct lot number with matching photo, and then re-check to make sure I send the right coin! :)

:oops: Sorry, everyone. (Mostly to my consignors. :sorry:) It will be a spring auction. There are a number of reasons, including the one Doug mentioned. But it's also partly that producing the catalogue has become a bit of a burden in a way it hadn't been for the first two. That's not a good thing! When I started I vowed that I wouldn't let it detract from my own enjoyment of the hobby or my own collecting. So post pandemic I will have to re-evaluate where I want to take AMCC... just occasional auctions? a store? more of a joint effort? Thoughts welcome! And your understanding is much appreciated. It would be nice if I could still use it to help CoinTalkers sell their stuff to a large audience without getting hit by big fees.

Thank you!!

Thank you for noting this important point. :cat:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted