Triplestruck 1926-S Peace Dollar (ZIGGO Z B)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GeorgeM, Nov 4, 2019.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I always cringe when I see stamped coins, but this one was interesting enough to add to my collection. I don't know what the history of these marks might be - any idea what the significance of Z B / ZIGGO might be?

Initials and a nickname? A merchant promoting themselves? A memento of a place?

Mysteries like these (which may well be unsolvable) have always fascinated me.

20191103_163548.jpg 20191103_163554.jpg

PlanoSteve likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Darn that Ziggo.

Reed.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I only sometimes cringe...I think something like this adds a positive dimension to what otherwise is a non-exemplary coin, like this Peace $, which has seen better days (They did make almost 7 million of the S mint, so there's plenty to be had for collectors of these.). Think of the personal aspects of a love token for example; it has a life!

Granted, it's a different agenda for these coins, but they certainly have their place in history, irrelevant of numismatic value.

Does it look to you like it was in a mount (5, 9, & 1 o'clock on the obverse)?

Nice post! Maybe someone will know about Ziggo.

GeorgeM likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Interesting piece but we will likely never know it's origin. I would think, if a merchant, it would have more info. Airmen and soldiers often carried pocket pieces they would inscribe for good luck. But I do wish you the best in hunting down the origin of this.

GeorgeM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted