Tripled Die Jefferson?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bambam8778, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I am getting more comfortable with being able to tell the difference between the different doubling there are out there. I still catch myself from time to time. Here if I look at the E in Liberty it appears to be a TDO. I can catch a good strike doubling but this is too close for me to be able to tell. There are 3 clearly obvious lines and they appear to be flat to me. Can you have a triple strike doubling? Is it possible or is this a true TDO? It only appears on this side of the coin.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 3.13.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 3.12.46 PM.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It would seem to me that it is possible to have more than one "layer" of machine doubling. It depends on the speed of the vibration of the die compared to the speed of the planchet moving through the coining chamber. What do others think? ~ Chris

Bambam8778 likes this.
  4. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

It appears to be mechanical doubling from a worn die. I can’t see any notching in the letters or the date IMHO. A pic of the full obverse and reverse would help with further diagnosis. I would also for a consensus from the experts here.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Bambam8778 I can't answer your question directly but is there another meaning for TDO except for "Trail Die Obverse" as an acronym that I might be missing? Honest question.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  6. Bambam8778

Tripled die obverse @tommyc03 . I never heard of it until I started looking at these older Jefferson's I set aside.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. Gets a bit confusing when the acronyms are interchangeable.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  8. Bambam8778

BBF0D74D-AF13-4305-9BC0-BD8899C220AA.jpeg E0CE3DC0-B5E6-4CFB-B9BB-D94097380ACA.jpeg

9. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Heres an S penny I found with multiple mechanical layers. Its a good example. The way a "doubled die" is created, its impossible to get these features....even though at first glance it sure looks wildly compelling.

Snapshot000002 (2).jpg

Bambam8778 likes this.
  10. Bambam8778

I wouldn't have even questioned that one. I have a long way to go with doubling but I've come a long way also. It's what I'm concentrating on at the moment so I'm sure I''ll have more posts to come.

Draft saved Draft deleted