Triple Struck 1/2 Real coin (or token)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GeorgeM, Jan 28, 2020.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Found this in a coin shop "junk" bin the other day and have come up blank on an ID so far. It doesn't help that the coin is triple struck (although that is what caught my eye originally).

Obverse shows the tripling clearly: the 1 from "1/2 Real" appears clearly 3 times.

20200128_105302.jpg

The reverse has more text so it's more of an indecipherable mess. 13 x 5-sided stars around a single 8-sided star? And I can only make out "Paise" or "Paris"?

20200128_105334.jpg

Attached Files:

paddyman98 and longshot like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GeorgeM

Approximate size of a US dime (18mm diameter)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. GeorgeM

I found a few listings for similar legends on Mexican hacienda tokens (c1880). Two, without pictures. Anyone have the Rulau reference book handy? Rulau #CAM 21 was mentioned on two different pages as being a copper or bronze 18mm 1/2 Real design.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I've seen a few Hacienda tokens and wonder what this one is. I await other's comments.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Hacienda tokens?

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

8. GeorgeM

I guess I'll keep bumping this every 2 weeks or so. Hopefully find someone who can help me ID this.

Can anyone else tell if there's doubling, tripling, or quadrupling? And what would cause that with rotation like this?

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@BRandM do you know anything about this?

GeorgeM likes this.
  10. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I don't really know what were looking at here, GeorgeM. Some type of good-for token I'd think and not US. Could be a hacienda token but I don't have Rulau's reference for them.

Bruce

GeorgeM likes this.
  11. BRandM

If you don't mind, GeorgeM, I'd like to copy your pictures and show them to a few really good token people I know. They might be able to help.

Bruce

Pickin and Grinin and GeorgeM like this.
  12. BRandM

Here's what I found out, George.

I contacted two men knowledgeable in foreign tokens and they both agreed that it's a Mexican Hacienda Token. Apparently, there's a man in Colombia who has done extensive research on these pieces and has written a few booklets about them. His name is Ignacio Henau. Unfortunately, they couldn't recall the titles of them so you might want to Google the name and see what comes up.

Furthermore, the man in France I spoke to said the only text he could make out was "ARGA' on the reverse. He feels the entire word is either "Nargavan" or more likely "Vargas." I assume these are names of Haciendas in Mexico. To check these out look here http://numismatics.org/digitallibrary/ark:/53695/nnan69119

He feels that the denomination side is double struck, but the other side is overstruck on something (these were my thoughts as well). I have a feeling I'll be hearing from them again, so I'll let you know if they come up with anything else. Good luck!

Bruce

GeorgeM likes this.
  13. GeorgeM

Thank you! Have I mentioned that this board has some of the most amazing people and connections we could *ever* imagine??

BRandM likes this.
  14. BRandM

Thanks, GeorgeM.

One correction: The correct spelling of the author's name is Haneo.

Bruce

GeorgeM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted