Triple Error Coin?! Bolivia PN55, advice wanted

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Seattlite86, May 25, 2015.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

So this 1902 PN55 20 centavo coin is an error on account of Bolivia since on the back the inscription reads "medio boliviano" meaning it's half their Boliviano, or 50 centavos. The reverse is rotated appx 30 degrees. Also, I think I'm seeing DDO on the stars but it might likely be MD. What do you think on that one? Also, any recommendations on how to clean the gunk off the back without destroying the coin?

IMG_4495.JPG IMG_4496.JPG IMG_4497.JPG IMG_4498.JPG IMG_4499.JPG

rzage likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddio

eddio Well-Known Member

from what i can tell it looks ddo the splits on the last a of boliviana sure looks like it,,,,,,,again a better closeup pick would help

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks like die-doubling to me, too. The second squeeze when they made the die was just a hair off in alignment.

Insider and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Correct. It is known as the 20 Centavos Pattern or 20 Centavos Error. Nice coin! Estimated price $180-$220 in my research

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Thanks guys, I think I found this one in a bag of world coins. One of the few that really were worth something.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

The correct 50 Centavos type was made of silver. This is a Brass type. Leave it as is don't clean it just yet.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Very cool coin and lucky I didn't answer 1st as I thought MD . That's why I joined CONECA to learn about this area . I have noticed in the ERRORSCOPE magazine a lot of nice doubled dies from South America .

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Quite alright; I'm not convinced it's a DDO and am personally leaning towards MD. I'm just shooting for the moon and seeing where I land.

10. Seattlite86

And I think most of my DDOs are from South America, but I'm still going through and cataloging/sorting my collection. I'm sure I'll find a couple and miss a few more.

rzage likes this.
  11. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

That's a doubled die without a doubt. There's doubling on the REP that's easily seen too. I think I'd listen to Paddyman98 and do some research. He seem to know the variety. Another very cool world coin shown! These are giving me an itch to delve in to some world stuff!

Insider and Seattlite86 like this.
  12. Seattlite86

I definitely see all the doubling, I'm just not sure if it's MD or DDO. I've read about the coin in the World Catalog book. I'm not interested in selling it, just learning more about it and getting that gunk off of it. I appreciate everyone's input.

13. Oscar Rojas

Oscar Rojas New Member

Excuse my ignorance, what is MD?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Oscar Rojas

Oscar Rojas New Member

What if the coin has triple die on one side of the coin, what is called?

15. Seattlite86

16. Seattlite86

It would be a triple die

17. Oscar Rojas

Oscar Rojas New Member

Thank you very much for the answers.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. paddyman98

No... It would be a Tripled Die :wacky: