Trip to the BEP and Gallery of Numismatics at the Smithsonian

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by furryfrog02, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I may have fainted just being that close to a 1913 V-nickel.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Oh man! You shoulda made it to Baltimore in '03. All five in one display.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It took me a second to realize what it was. When I showed my son at first I was like "hey look at this steel cent and this V-Nickel." He loves steel wheats. Then I was like "Oh **** that's not what that is!" haha.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

At Chicago in I think it was 2013, I was trying to photograph the one the ANA owns and I nearly toppled the display case that it and an 1804 dollar were in. :nailbiting::bag:

6. Randy Abercrombie

Kurt!!! That is not a good way to influence friends!.... However I could see exactly that same scenario happening to me.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

I now have NINE years since my stroke damaged my balance skills. At that time it was only FOUR. Nine years ago this week I returned to work after a cerebral hemorrhage that occurred the last week of June. I nearly died and officially missed eight days of work.

I was in a four-guy carpool at the time, and in exchange for NOT taking my turn driving for several months, I paid WAAAAY over my share of gas costs.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Never been a fellow that was into errors and varieties. I am sure I could educate myself via Google. But since I like it here....... What's the story behind the aluminum cent?

9. Randy Abercrombie

Blessings to ya. I have had two friends that have suffered strokes. That is a danged difficult recovery.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

It's a 1974 non-mintmarked aluminum cent. There are a few out there. It was a sample produced as one option when the costs of copper started to climb in the 1970's. The samples were distributed to Congresscritters on the Banking Committees. They were intended to be returned to the Mint, but not all were.

The 1974-D example is a whole level more nefarious. There never were ANY of those supposed to be created.

11. Randy Abercrombie

A trial run as an option to replace expensive copper then. And since it wasn't put into circulation, they belong to the US Mint I take it.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Still to be determined. Since that would involve getting real aggressive with Congresscritters and/or staff, the Mint backed off. They SEEM to be legal to own under the Langbord precedent due to failure to continually pursue.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

The aluminum 1974-D is a whole different matter. STRICTLY illegal to own privately.

14. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Boooo hisssss!!:android::android::android::cool:

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They have made the normal pronouncements that they are government property and not legal to own. But although the Toven specimen has been graded by two services and has been publicly displayed they have never made any attempt to actively go after the coin. (Of course now they say they know where another 1933 double eagle is and they have made no effort, that we know of, to go after it either. And have even said they don't plan to actively go after it.)

16. V. Kurt Bellman

That's because it's overseas.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I thought they said they knew where one was here in the US. And the Toven 1974 aluminum cent is here in the US as well.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

It is my understanding that the one "in the loose" domestically was voluntarily surrendered after the Langbord case was final. It is quite recent. When the fellow from the Mint spoke at the PAN show, even he did not realize it was safely sitting in Fort Knox.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Interesting, I haven't heard anything about one being turned in. Of course you probably have better contacts than I do.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

It was in a major coin publication.

21. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Draft saved Draft deleted