Trip to Central and South America

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sonlarson, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

We can meet at the Hard Rock Cafe & get a souvenir T-shirt before visiting the brick & mortar coin shops in this business district.

There are many coins for sale in Buenos Aires so there must be a large population of coin collectors in the area.

Two of these coins are struck off center and one of them has a 180-degree rotated reverse. :smile

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 16d

16d Member

My apologies! I've been ignoring this thread from day 1. Last thing I want to hear about is someone elses vacation.
    Thought I'd take a peek today & boy was I wrong. Cant wait for your virtual zoo visit or trip to the Vatican.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

If you virtually fly to Buenos Aires, then I will virtually pick you up at the airport so you may join us for the balance of the trip. I suspect we will visit Uruguay and maybe The Falkland Islands before making our last stop in Chile. Derek said he could entertain us when we get to Chile.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Interested in a side trip to Antarctica

BTW, there is a night luxury bus that travels from Buenos Aires terminal to Tierra del Fuego. The possibility exists that we could take the night-bus and then buy passage on one of the cruise ships that goes to Antarctica. It is an opportunity to visit Antarctica if anyone is interested. Unfortunately, there are no coins issued from Antarctica so it may be inappropriate for this CT crowd. :D

6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Paraguay took less time than I thought. Made it to the Hard Rock in Buenos Aires. T-shirt is a must for my wife's collection. Her favorite is from Hawaii, then Nashville. A lot to see in Argentina. Plan on enjoying a nice steak and some of their local wines. Also plan to do some casual girl watching. Oops!, I meant bird watching.

Flag_of_Argentina.jpg Argentina.jpg

argentina 1987 centavo.jpg

Attached Files:

7. sonlarson

Too bad we won't be here on May 25th for the revolution celebration, commemorated on the Peso.
    25demayo.jpg argentina 1960 peso.jpg

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

There are nice steaks & local wines in Buenos Aires. :smile

The ferry ride to Uruguay is short. If we leave in the morning, then perhaps we could spend the day in Montevideo before continuing on the trek.

Attached Files:

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

These photos depict an 1822 coin of Buenos Aires. It was found in a junk box in 2008.

Attached Files:

10. sonlarson

Wow! a lot of excitement going on in Bruenos Aires. One of their own elected today as Pope Francis I. Nice conservative choice. Change is in the air.

11. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I am spend some time on lake Titicaca Bolivia, lived with a local family on "riet" floating island. Running little late.

DSC00635.jpg

Nice pattern from Bolivia, one of my most expensive coins.

KM Pn24 Bolivia La Paz II.jpg KM Pn24 Bolivia La Paz I.jpg

12. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Now I am making my way over the alto plano into Argentina, check this road out,

DSC00693.jpg

Argentina 19 79 100 pesos rev.jpg Argentina 1979 100 pesos obv.jpg

13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I will share this photo anyway, on our way from Patagonia to Drake sea. There was this ghost ship stranded on a island in one of the channels.

DSC02626.jpg

14. sonlarson

15. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Geez, you guys are in Argentina and I haven't even visited Paraguay yet. Fortunately I brought some change with me.

Attached Files:

16. Hiddendragon

A little more to spend in Paraguay.

Attached Files:

17. Hiddendragon

The Argentina 2 centavos is one of my favorite coins from anywhere.

Attached Files:

18. Hiddendragon

I also thought I'd visit the Falklands while I was here. Next up, Uruguay?

Attached Files:

19. sonlarson

Making a stop in Uruguay today and then headed to Chile for my final destination before heading back to the States.

Flag_of_Uruguay.jpg Uruguay.jpg

Only have a couple of coins to spend here.

uraguay 1994 10 centimos.jpg uruguay 1942 peso.jpg

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Yes, it has been very exciting everywhere we have gone on this trip. Chavez passed away when we were in Venezuela & the new Pope was elected while we were in Argentina. It has been a memorable trip.

Before ending our vacation let’s travel 1000 miles north of Santiago Chile to El Llano de Chajnantor in the Atacama desert. The Alma telescope is located there. It is only about 16,000 feet above seal level. :eek: It is the largest radio telescope in the World and it is officially open for business today.

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

We saved this Uruguay coin from the melting pot. :)

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted