Trip to Central and South America

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sonlarson, Mar 4, 2013.

1. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I am taking a vacation trip through Central and South America. I think I slide down from Mexico and see how far I can get with pocket change. I can't take any high grade, commemorative, or proof coins with me since I can't spend them. I am going to see how may places I can visit without going broke. I don't have a lot of money so I'll need some help. All of you are welcome to come along,but remember to bring spending money. what can you bring? Just don't get in a hurry and get ahead of me. We all travel together. I Don't want any one to get left behind.

The first country we will visit today is Belize, AKA British Honduras, then on to
    Guatemala and El Salvador. This will be a quick trip but we may
    stop by later on the return trip.

central amer map.png

Belize.jpg

belize 1991 1 cent.jpg belize 1980 5 cents.jpg belize 1991 25 cents.jpg

BTW, to avoid confusion. This is an IMAGINARY trip. Each traveler is to show his coins from the country we are visiting. Let's see the pocket change.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

in 4 weeks im gonig all around europe, to barcelona, poland, italy, germany and many other nice places.No troll.

4. sonlarson

Unfortunately mine is an imaginary trip. My real trip is next month Trout fishing on the White River with my son and one of my brothers.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It used to be that you would only need one currency for all of Central America. Of course, the entire area was the United States of Central America (or should I say Central American Republic) which consisted of Honduras, Nicragua, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and some surrounding areas.

These coins could (at one time) be used in the CAR and Costa Rica. :smile

Attached Files:

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

More coins from Central America. :)

Attached Files:

7. sonlarson

Well Belize was a short trip. I was surprised to find that a large number of the locals speak English. Guess they got that from the British. Saw a couple of the Maya monuments that were cool looking.
    Saw some Macaws, beautiful birds.

Macaws.jpg

Met up with Collect89 and we are now headed to Guatemala. Wonder how far his central american "euros" will get us.
    I only have .30 cent in change to spend.

guatemala.jpg

guatemala 1994 25 centavos.jpg guatemala 2000 5 centavos.jpg

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Honduras 10 Centavos

This trip is only in sonlarson's mind. Since he apparently met me in Central America, I will contribute some Honduras cash to get us through to the Nicaragua border. :D

P.S.
    Anyone got some change to post that that will help us get through Nicaragua?

Attached Files:

10. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

Lol... i misunderstood his post............

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Cool idea OP. I like how coins can take us on virtual vacations any time we wish. :)

Living in Minnesota this is a real blessing, maybe that is why I collect so many coins from the middle east.

Btw Eduard, I hear you, but northern Europe has nothing on Minnesota in terms of cold. :( However, it does give us more time indoors to play with our coins, no?

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I think I am booking a virtual vacation to St Lucia.

Medoraman, I can imagine that Minnesota gets very cold in the winter. No doubt very pretty, but cold.

In fact, many years ago when I had the opportunity to attend university in the U.S I was accepted at 2 engineering schools: Texas and Minnesota. I chose Texas, in large part due to the cold weather. What I didn't know is how hot it can get in Texas!
    Like somebody once said: 'You know, it's always something'.

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

OK, I have a silver Cordoba that should get us through Nicaragua in style. :)

BTW, these are tough to find in high grade. Most have a flat nose & have been harshly cleaned.

Attached Files:

14. sonlarson

Oops, Collect89 and I got separated and I ended up in El Salvador. Checked out the volcanoes while I was there.

Izalco Volcano.JPG Even saw an Ocelot Ocelot.jpg

El Salvador.jpg

Cost me all my money to get back to Guatemala

el salvador 1987 10 centavos.jpg

Attached Files:

15. sonlarson

Took a bus as far as I could into Guatemala. Didn't have any local money so I had to hitch down towards Nicaragua. Wish some more would come along and help share some of the expenses.
    guatemala.jpg

Got to check out the Tikal's Temple IV. 212 feet.

Tikal's Temple IV.jpg

The local speak 24 different languages. Except English. Dress was colorful however.

Guatemala traditional clothing.jpg

Hope to catch up and be in Nicaragua by tomorrow.

16. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I used to live in Guatemala. I think that Central American silver coin is the most beautiful coin ever made and I want one badly (but not bad enough to shell out what they cost). I love your tour through Central America! Here's a coin I have:

[​IMG]

17. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Good imaginary trip, its probably safer too considering the stories I've heard about certain countries in South America. But I really like the currency design from South America countries. Guatemala's Quetzal bird is really pretty and some of those old paper currency are gorgeous.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Enjoy the trip! Don't drink the water........:devil:

19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'm up for a Central American trip. Here's some money to get us through Nicaragua.

Attached Files:

20. Hiddendragon

Two more for Nicaragua and one for Guatemala.

Attached Files:

21. Hiddendragon

If we get in any trouble in Guatemala, this quetzal should get us out of it.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted