Trio of Caracalla Denarii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Nov 26, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This lot arrived yesterday - they need some study. I just took a few quick pics this morning. I've already discovered that Serapis is a common reverse on the denarii of Caracalla, but the common variety is with right arm raised. On this coin, he is holding what is described as a wreath with corn ears, which is the rare version...

serapis 600.jpg

I wonder if the coppery overtones on this coin are a remnant of the depletion enrichment process the mint used to silver-ize the outside of the coin. They don't appear to be deposits.

Virtus reverse with a boyish bust. Victory is always rendered with a shallow engraving on these types, so even this much detail is quite respectable...

virtus 600.jpg

And Liberalitas...

liberalitas 600.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, JA, especially the first. I have a few from this era with copper showing up like that.

4. John Anthony

In another thread, we were discussing the "pickling" process used to leach copper out of the surfaces of denarii during this period. So it stands to reason we might see this effect more often if we looked for it.

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Three excellent portraits! Very nice score, indeed.

John Anthony likes this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Awesome Caracalla denarii. My favorite is the second one. He looked like such a good boy. I wonder what happened to turn him into such a monster.

John Anthony likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I can live with the copper, it's the white cloudy look some coins get that I want gone. Lemon juice and even rubbing doesn't do anything.

Whole bottom of the reverse on this is one. Got others, it's annoying but the coin is great otherwise.

[​IMG]

Guess a modern collector would call it Frost from Proofs.

8. John Anthony

The question is existential. Even given the fact that some of the accounts of Caracalla may be exaggerated, he was a ruthless, selfish piece of shit. The real question is, what makes anyone that way? The planet is still crawling with people that make everyone around them miserable.

But we need to be clear about one thing: Geta also wanted supreme power. One of those two was going down, and it just happens that Caracalla was quicker on the draw, or we might be decrying his younger brother as a monster.

Alegandron and Sallent like this.
  9. John Anthony

That may well be the result of the pickling process, and it may be something we just have to accept about denarii of this era. If it can't be cleaned, then perhaps it's something intrinsic to the metal. Personally, I find that interesting as an example of minting techniques and their results.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coins JA. There was a time I was collecting several Caracalla, but I guess I've moved on a bit.
    Caracalla 3.jpg Caracalla 1.jpg Caracalla 2.jpg Caracalla 10a.jpg

11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I love his name Caracalla, sounds like a candy bar, three great coins Big John, i think if you throw them in the toilet for a few days should take out the copper look..:eek:
    My Ancient club guy had a stack of these.. he's in there!!:)short roll of denarius.
    Denarius Alex Tet 002_opt.jpg

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Not a generous but this coin is just a recent pick up that most have seen but I want to share it here. It's even more pleasing in hand.

[​IMG]

Caracalla, AD 198-217
    AE27, 14.5g, 12h; Caesarea Cappadocia, year 13 (of the rule of Septimius Severus), AD 204/5.
    Obv.: AY KAI M AYP ANTΩNINOC; Laureate head right.
    Rev.: MHTPOΠ KAICAPEI; Agalma of Mt. Argaeus, star over summit // ETIΓ (year 13)
    Reference: Syndenham 484

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful coin.

swamp yankee and Jwt708 like this.
  14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I like the star over mountain reverse!

Jwt708 likes this.
  15. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

16. John Anthony

A little reading up on these, plus some pics in the sun, and full attributions, in chronological order...

virtus hand 600.jpg

Caracalla, AD 198-217
    AR denarius, 3.2g, 19mm, 6h; Rome mint, AD 201-206.
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG; Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: VIRTVS AVGG; Virtus, helmeted, standing right, holding Victory and spear.
    Reference: RIC 4a Caracalla 149, p. 234.

Of this issue, RIC says, "The next few years, AD 205-208, show in the main such general types as Roma, Mars, Salus, Securitas, Victory, and Virtus -- characterizing the quality of the reign rather than chronicling separate events." (RIC 4a, p. 76) So nothing special in terms of reverse design, but it compares favorably to examples on acsearch for its well-styled bust and reverse detail, despite the flatly-struck Victory. Caracalla would have been 17-18 years old at the emission of this issue.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Sweet coins JA, I like them all.

Q

John Anthony likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That portrait sure looks young for 17. This set need a young one so I'll stick in a 196 or so (about 8?). I still think the portraits look a mite younger making me wonder how sure we are about the 188 AD birthday.
    rs6500bb0293.jpg

19. John Anthony

There is a discrepancy in RIC. The quote from p. 76 suggests the years 205-208 for the generic types, but the attribution in the list of coins gives the dates for Virtus as 201-206. I'm inclined to believe this coin was struck closer to 201, when Caracalla would have been 13.

Edit again: I missed where RIC refers specifically to dated coins of TRP VIII-XI in the above quote. My coin is undated, so perhaps we can agree that it was minted earlier, around 201 or so, on the youthfulness of the bust.

20. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Congrats on the three great coins JA !...

John Anthony likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great coins, JA ...

Ummm, so you're gonna flip 'em like that? (you're not cleaning them, or anything are you?)

... yah sorry, I didn't actually read your posts ... fricken Thanksgiving and all, right (I like you)

... cheers

You seem to be happy and doing well, yes? (you're a good head => so everyone's happy ... it's kinda like having a nice boss, ya know?)

Eat a bun, my friend (eat a couple of extra buns for me, tonight => you rock)

:rolleyes:

zumbly and John Anthony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted