Featured Trinity Church Medal - Regensburg

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Chris B, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

GerReg162701.jpg

This is a medal that I picked up a few years ago from one of my favorite sellers from Germany. It was kind of an impulse purchase. The quality of the engraving really spoke to me. That a medal was produced to commemorate such a minor (to me) event is kind of surprising. Being such a well-produced medal the fact that it is unsigned (per the seller)is surprising as well. I do see some letters (initials?) at the bottom of the reverse.

Below is the seller’s description:

On the laying of the foundation stone of the Trinity Church on 4 July.

Obverse: View of the church, on the left an angel with a palm branch, on the right an angel with an olive branch, above it the Trinity in clouds

Reverse: Writing in the heraldic wreath.

Regensburg-Stadt Am Henkel

Catalog: Plato 23.

Diameter: 40.5 mm
    Weight: 19.68 g
    Silver medal 1627
    Unsigned

It doesn’t bother me in the least that someone mounted this at some point. The mount is well done, unlike many mounted medals and coins. It doesn’t appear that it was worn much because the medal itself is still in remarkable condition.

There is still a Trinity church in Regensburg to this day and the photos I have found online are similar. Not sure if it is the same church or not. I wasn’t able to find much in the way of history on the building.

Does anyone know of the catalog mentioned in the seller’s description? I would like to find a copy or someone that would scan the relevant information.

Feel free to post any comments or similar medals or coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

It is a very nice medal, Chris. Full of details obverse and reverse. Beautiful. I would impulse-buy the same medal as well.

Chris B likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is one of my Regensburg coins...
    AV Dukat ND Regensburg Mint (1795)
    Emperor Franz II 1792-1835
    Imperial City of Regensburg
    IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0703.JPG

5. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, they made several different versions of this medal (different diameters, slightly different legends, gold & silver). A version like yours (unmounted) sold in the one of the Kunker auctions of Dr. Opitz's famous Reformation coins/medals collection in 2017 for 650 Euros plus fees. Crummy catalog pics attached.

2020-01-03.1.jpg 2020-01-03.2.jpg

6. Chris B

Thank you very much.

7. Chris B

Thanks to @Hus.thaler I was able to do a proper search on acsearch. There have been a number of these sold over the last 5 years or so with quite a few of them showing signs of a previous mount. Myself, I would prefer the mount be left on, unless it is hideous.

It appears that I got a good deal when compared to previous sales. I know that mount deters some people, fortunately, I am not one of them.

I pieced together several auction lot listings to update my description, see below. The gold versions mentioned above sure do sell for a lot.

Regensburg-Stadt Am Henkel
    Catalog: Plato 23.
    Diameter: 40.5 mm
    Weight: 19.68 g
    Silver medal 1627, unsigned (By Hans Georg Bahre?). On the laying of the foundation stone of the Trinity Church on 4 July.

Obverse: View of the Dreieinigkeitskirche (Church of the Holy Trinity); above, two angels bearing palm frond and olive branch; in clouds above, God, Christ, and radiant dove; in exergue
    Obverse Text (in exergue): IN NOM : S S TRIN : EVN :/ FOS : SPQR : 4 IVL :/ MDCXXVII

Reverse: Script a wreath of the coat of arms of the then Lords of the Inner Council
    Reverse Text: EST TVA,/ SACTA TRIAS,/ DOMVS HÆC : DA/ NOMEN IN ILLÂ/ ET TVA PERPETVO/ DOGMATA PVRA/ SONENT

Pellinore and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted