Trillion dollar platinum coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JohnT, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

Get 'em while they're hot!
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...fe5-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_story.html?hpid=z2

This is a story from the Washington Post regarding the debt. Some clips from the article:
    "Under current law, the Treasury is technically allowed to mint as many coins made of platinum as it wants and can assign them whatever value it pleases."

"Under this scenario, the U.S. Mint would make a pair of trillion-dollar platinum coins. The president orders the coins to be deposited at the Federal Reserve. The Fed moves this money into Treasury’s accounts. And just like that, Treasury suddenly has an extra $2 trillion to pay off its obligations for the next two years — without needing to issue new debt. The ceiling is no longer an issue."

I wonder who would be on the face of the coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gedon_Althor

Gedon_Althor Member

Perhaps it should be one of those rare "two faced" coins.

4. avr5700

avr5700 Member

Wouldn't that be the very definition of a hyper-inflationary action? Put it on rectangular pieces of cloth/paper, put it on round metal, same thing to me. I suppose only the fact that it would not circulate or be produced in larger numbers is what sets it apart. Pox on all the houses of the politico in the U.S.S.A.

Draft saved Draft deleted