Trier Part II - With some Roman Newps! :)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Feb 11, 2018.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Someone in a Facebook coin group ticked me off by insulting my dead cat, so I am cooling myself down by making a nice little writeup (which I find to be really calming).

My focus today will be on the Roman history or Trier, since that makes up nearly the entirety of my second visit and coin purchases.

As I stated earlier, the Roman history of Trier begins with Julius Ceasar conquering the Gauls in 52 BC and annexing their territory (which included Trier) to the Roman Empire. Not too long after, Augustus founded a Roman city where present-day Trier is located, calling it Augusta Treverorum. It was initially intended to be a fort to protect the Empire against barbaric invasions, but it became one of the most important administration centers along the Rhine. Trier became the crossroads between many major cities, including Rheims, Metz, Strasbourg, and Cologne. The situation next to the Moselle River was also important to the development of Trier as it provided a major commercial link. Under the reign of Tiberius (particularly 17 AD), a bridge spanning the Moselle River was constructed.

By 44 AD, Augusta Treverorum was recognized as being a very wealthy city. For the next couple of centuries, the city underwent constant peaceful development, during which time several major construction projects were completed. Among these included the Amphitheater, a large bathhouse today called the Barbara Baths, a new bridge to replace the first one, and a 4-mile wall surrounding the city which had 44 towers and 4 massive gates (one of which being the Porta Nigra and another being the Amphitheater). By this time, Trier had become the seat of the governor of the Province Gallica Belgica.

The Roman Bridge (the bases are Roman; the rest is 17th-Century I believe):

1FD84FCD-162A-4A55-AF0E-CD920EFB8394.jpeg

The ruins of the Barbara Baths:

C6C07CA6-8FFA-4712-9B3E-8BDBE640F530.jpeg

The Amphitheater (I was sadly closed due to ice, so this is the best I’ve got):

A7BF88B6-8614-4906-96B6-B9AE6A432342.jpeg

The Northern Gate (the Porta Nigra):

E3961635-8B65-45A1-AEE6-C61AF829AB69.jpeg

The unadultrated period of development ended with the Crisis of the Third Century. It began with Emperor Valerian being captured by the Sassanid Empire in 260, which left his son, Gallienus, in control in control of the empire. Unfortunately, his control was a very shaky one. Then governors in Pannonia (a province bordered by the Danube) staged local revolts, so he left the Rhine region where he had been a consul for the Danube. As a result, this left Postumus in control of the Rhine provinces. With this power, Postumus revolted against the Roman empire and established his own Gallic Empire, which included the original Gaulish regions plus the loosely-loyal territories of Iberia and Britannia. Gallienus tried to take back the Gallic Empire in 263, but was unsuccessful, and never challenged Postumus again. Postumus was overthrown and killed by his own troops in 268.

20B930BC-8AEE-4BDE-ACC7-831F25B3DBA0.jpeg

After Postumus, the Gallic Empire began to quickly decline, falling in 274 to Aurelian at the Battle of Châlons. For a time during the reign of the Gallic Empire, Trier was made its capital, but the stresses of the unstable empire and the 274 conquest took their toll on the city. To make matters worse, just a year later the Rhine region was invaded by the Germanic tribes, the Franks and the Alamanni. The penetrated deep into the Rhine and left much of the region in ruins, but Probus (?) was able to push them back. While the extent of the damage to Trier is not know, it surely would have taken a negative toll. (I sure hope I got all of that right; most of that info was quite new to me.)

This period of instability caused by having such a large empire inspired Emperor Diocletian to divide the Empire into 4 sub-empires. Trier became the capital of the Western Empire, which included the area of the Gallic Empire plus the western bit of North Africa. Trier got a large bump in importance in 293 when it became the residence of Constantius Chlorus, the father of Constantine I (the Great).

In the early 4th Century, Constantine I moved to Trier. The Franks, upon hearing this, thought it would be a good idea to invade the Rhine yet again. They were handily defeated by Constantine I, and two of their kings and many of their soldiers were captured and fed to beasts in the Trier Amphitheater. After this, he sponsored major building works in Trier, which included an expansion of the imperial palace so that it encompassed the church, the Basilica (which was his throne room), and the Imperial Baths. These constructions were so impressive that Trier was sometimes compared with Rome. All but the Roman baths were completed during Constantine’s reign; when he left to found Constantinople in 316 all work on his residences in Trier came to an abrupt end. Valentinian I would complete the baths, and his son Gratian would finish the Cathedral. Maximus murdered Gratian in 383 and ruled in Trier until he was vanquished and executed by Theodosius in 388. Trier would cease to be an imperial residence after the reign of Valentinian II, primarily because of increased military pressure by the Germanic tribes. The administrative functions of the city were also relocated, thus leading to the city’s decline. After 406, Trier became subject to a slew of Germanic invasions, finally falling into Frankish hands in 485.

The Imperial Baths (restoration was going on, so excuse the picture):

808C452E-B050-4295-9242-546A155F59CD.jpeg

I got to explore the underground channel system. :)

65B210C0-A272-458F-9FBE-177B2A919E17.jpeg

The Constantine Basilica:

3EE50C88-2DE2-46DA-92A0-215AC657FA84.jpeg

Inside the Constantine Basilica:

35EDD862-0B66-4CA1-AFB5-8FE8176B278E.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great write up and pics, such an interesting city. Thanks for sharing.

TypeCoin971793 and Mike Margolis like this.
  4. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Bet it was a modern collector arguing that coins should never be cleaned, right? Or believing only museums can afford ancient coins and that all of yours must be fake...

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

My coin of Aurelian (I had one from Gallienus too, but I do not have a picture of it :( ):

CFDB7D52-BC99-4C48-9B85-D22CBF59D9FE.jpeg

Now my Purchases from Trier

A nice little antique shop had some Roman coins in the window. The owner said all were found in Trier, either from the river or under the hospital where a Roman Temple to the god of good health once stood. I overpaid at 5€, but I bought it more for the provenance.

2824E782-406F-4B16-A694-5B7A6C4FD3C1.jpeg EABC2E42-8AB3-43F1-ACD5-E9423A13628E.jpeg

Then I just happened upon another antique shop with several really nice coins in the window. He was very helpful in finding a nice budget Roman coin minted in Trier. This one cost 30€, but I am happy.

01B05ECC-84FD-4FD6-9564-8056D6622E78.jpeg 8070C98F-4315-455F-8CE0-067FF1591725.jpeg

A museum gift shop Julius Caesar aureus.

2059C7ED-4AD9-49B1-91AC-E55B7F256B74.jpeg 62871EBB-56D4-420E-9C1C-DAECDAAB71DF.jpeg

6. TypeCoin971793

I went to the antique shop in the part I thread. :wideyed: The quality of the stuff was simply amazing, and the prices did not seem too outlandishly high. The owners were very nice. They had a bin of (very mostly) culls presumably dug in the region. I got these for €2.50 each:

An Augustus (?) Dupondius (?):

55C81617-DD97-4EFB-8128-AF268ABE3BEA.jpeg 41D2F926-F0A6-4382-B20B-B6FC7976DCDF.jpeg

And Antoninus Pius (?) Sestertius:

E9309007-B80C-45DA-A764-F836E9C0271E.jpeg 86A15890-6C47-4EB3-A9CF-2ED86BA09AE2.jpeg

A Gallienus Antoniniaunus, which shows just how poor the strikes got during his reign:

4273DB53-D2A9-4A24-A0BA-C3A35AC710F3.jpeg A0A804F6-B298-4804-A656-E99A9F086B16.jpeg

And a Constantine (which one?) VOT bronze (denomination?):

21A7BD4E-3973-4C3A-9C24-3FF9774A177D.jpeg 7A7EDAFE-9D31-4B4E-A8D9-E355F7759234.jpeg

Overall, very good day. :happy:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've been to Trier, but it was shortly before I got interested in Ancient coins. That should tell you how long ago that was since I've been collecting for close to forty years. I would love to return and see it all from a different perspective.

BTW, I'm not a cat person, but I would never insult someone's pet. Both my sons have cats (at the insistence of their perspective spousal units).

8. TypeCoin971793

No, I told him to not be lazy and research the value of his slabbed coin on his own. This is how this pathetic lowlife scum decides to respond to my post asking for help with my dying cat:

9548D611-B7CA-4F14-8A31-D568647F2EB4.png

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm so sorry for you and your cat. Losing a loved pet is hard man. Since my dog died 17 years ago, I just can't make myself go through it again.

10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

So glad you enjoyed it!!

It's Marcus Aurelius, like this one. A "victory over the Germans" coin, bought in Trier - cool!!

Constantine I, follis (a denomination term meaning "we don't have the first clue what this is.")

Great photos! I've been looking forward to this post so I can live vicariously through you. :)

TIF and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice write up, cool pics, and some nice coins. Great job on getting some good values too!

Really enjoyed Trier each time I have been there. Found one side of my family's ancestral hometown (and went on to visit it), in the Trier phone book. LOL, the WHOLE town's phone listing took up ONE and 1/3 COLUMNs in the phone book! LOL. They did have a bar there where I proceeded to get inebriated. And yeah, the guys I was with stated the other folks from the town in the bar even LOOKED like me... (perhaps it was more of the local beer.) LOL, but that was over 30 years ago...

To CONSTATIUS CHLORUS making Trier a Big Town!

upload_2018-2-11_15-43-30.png
    RI Constantius I Chlorus 293-306 CE DIVO AE Quinarius Thesalonika 317-318 Seated RIC VII 25 R5 RARE

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  12. TypeCoin971793

That was my second thought. My third thought was Septimius Severus.

Very interesting info! I will have to look more into this type.

That’s what I was thinking, but I was very unsure. I was hoping it was Constantine I.

I’m glad you enjoyed it! :)

Severus Alexander likes this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great post

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks for the great writeup and pics. So sorry to hear about your cat. It's always awful to lose a pet.

Here's a Trier mint issue of Constantine I as Caesar.

Constantine - as Caesar Vota Trier Mazzini 2573.jpg
    CONSTANTINE I, as Caesar
    AE Quarter-Follis. 1.82g, 16.7mm. Trier mint, AD 306-307. RIC VI Trier 750; Mazzini 748 (this coin). O: FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NC, laureate, cuirassed bust right. R: VO/TIS/X in three lines within wreath.
    Ex Giuseppe Mazzini Collection (1883-1961)

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

And you thought you wouldn't be buying coins while in Europe!

Enjoyed your write up and photos.

Only takes a moment to block the jerk, don't let him bother you, just ignore and move on.

TypeCoin971793 and Theodosius like this.
  16. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Another great write up!

Looks like you are having a good trip.

Really cool to pick up some local coins.

John

17. TypeCoin971793

I did? :confused:

I did. :rolleyes:

18. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Very interesting post - it makes me want to go to Trier and cruise the sites (and buy coins).

And I am very sorry about your cat. I just lost one of mine last month (cancer), age 17. It's a heartbreaker.

19. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the great write up and all those pictures of Trier, really enjoy it.
    Losing a cat or a dog is terrible, happened to me, too many times.

P1140646.JPG

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Seems like you are really getting the most out of your european experience, TC:).
    Well done.
    (I have only been to Trier twice in my whole life, and don't live that far away....).

Really sorry to hear about you cat...been through that experience many times...

Alegandron and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  21. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Last coin (the Constantinian) looks like It'll clean up very good.

Draft saved Draft deleted