"Tribute Penny" aureus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, May 4, 2015.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I've been on a bit of a posting sabbatical and am considerably behind in writing up newer purchases, but was mentioning this coin to a forum member by PM and wanted to share it here:

[​IMG]

Providing significant contrast to the many people who would eventually die fighting for their spot as emperor of Rome, Tiberius didn’t particularly want the title. He was Augustus’ stepson and became emperor in 14 AD upon Augustus’ death. He made many positive contributions as one of the greatest Roman generals, conquering vast lands and increasing the Empire’s treasury to nearly three billion sestertii. However, he quickly decided to distance himself from the day-to-day workings of Rome. He progressively gave power to the Praetorian Prefect Sejanus which proved to be very unwise as Sejanus proceeded to arrest and murder most of the Julio-Claudian family behind Tiberius’ back.

Frustrated with the subterfuge and politics that came along with the position, Tiberius left Rome to retire on the island of Capri in 27 AD, effectively giving Sejanus free reign over the Empire. However, after being suspected of conspiring against Tiberius, Sejanus was imprisoned and executed. When Tiberius eventually died, the succession was left to his nephew Caligula and grandson Tiberius Gemellus. Caligula quickly began establishing his reputation as one of the most hated and evil of all Roman emperors by nullifying Tiberius’ will and executing Gemellus, becoming sole emperor.

Most emperors cared deeply about their coinage and would issue a vast range of designs, reflecting current events and progress made within the Empire. Tiberius took the opposite approach, leaving a single precious metal type in place for nearly the entirety of his twenty-three year reign. Furthermore, the type itself was a duplicate from one of Augustus’ late emissions, indicating just how little focus Tiberius placed on his coinage.

This type proved to be one of the most widely used coinages in Roman history, and ranks among the most familiar coins of antiquity. They circulated throughout the Empire and as far as India, with evidence that many pieces were used into the second century AD.

The reverse inscription of PONTIF MAXIM references Tiberius’ status as the head of the Roman state religion. The image on the reverse is generally interpreted as his mother Livia, seated and holding a laurel branch, representing Pax, the personification of peace.

The same type was also issued in silver, which became known as the “Tribute Penny” due to its famous reference in the Bible as the coin Jesus discussed to “render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”

A similar passage exists within the Gospel of Thomas, referring specifically to the “Tribute Penny” as a gold coin like this aureus but the book was removed from the New Testament as the overall meaning of the message was not as clear and subtext could draw different conclusions as to the intent of Jesus’ statement."They showed Jesus a gold coin and said to him: Caesar’s agents demand taxes from us. He said to them: Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar; give to God what belongs to God, and give to me what is mine."

This coin came from the group which was found buried under the ash of Mt. Vesuvius in Pompeii. The deep toning occurred from the sulfur in the air reacting with the metal of the coin. Roman aurei are some of the purest gold coinage ever minted but they still included small amounts of silver and copper.

As gold is among the least reactive of elements, it is the other metals which were alloyed with the gold that toned to produce the colors on this coin.

Tiberius (AD 14-37). AV aureus (19mm, 7.84 gm, 7h). Lugdunum, ca. AD 18-35. TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, laureate head of Tiberius right / PONTIF MAXIM, Livia, as Pax, seated right, holding scepter and olive branch; chair with ornate legs, feet on footstool, single line below. RIC 29. Calicó 305a. From the Boscoreale hoard, with prominent toning. Good VF. From The Lexington Collection.

Post your coins of Tiberius!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The moment I saw the picture, I sat up and thought, "Boscoreale!". Please don't buy them ALL, AJ... some of us still like to dream that we could possibly get one of our own some day :D.

I've never been drawn to this type, but appreciate its role in history. Another nice addition to your collection!

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  4. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

:) I won't buy all of them... but my goal is to complete as many of the Twelve Caesars as possible from the Boscoreale hoard (although Domitian isn't represented, but still sometimes has reddish toning). It'll be a long -and likely expensive- search, but I don't believe it's been done before.

Thanks!

TIF likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Now that would be an incredible set! A fun quest for sure... good luck!

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Way to aim high, AJ! You've certainly done well so far. The Vespasian was quite a coup.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Nice Gold AJ. These coins are quite tired and played out in silver. Common coins that go for a lot of money, but this..this is "golden."

8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

tiberius-altar-lugdunum.jpg

Tiberius, as Caesar. 12-14 AD. AE As. Lugdunum mint, 24mm, 9.8g

OBV: TI CAESAR AVGVST F IMPERAT VII, Laureate head right.

REV: ROM ET AVG, Front elevation of the Altar of Lugdunum, decorated with the corona civica between laurels, nude figures, & Victories.

REF: RIC 245 (Augustus), Sear RCV 1756, Cohen 37.

This is my only Tiberius coin and low grade at that.

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great looking coin, especially due to its history. Congrats.

I still annoys me that the silvers are so common & yet stupid expensive. I've missed a few bargains but never had the $ when they surfaced.

But I do have a bronze I got cheap that I am fond of.

[​IMG]

10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Fantastic gold penny AJ, and write up as usuals. ;)

11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific write-up and gorgeous aureus AJ....buried at Pompeii WOW!!!

I have a fine grade denarius 'Tribute Penny', but I'll post my AE AS instead...

Tiberius obverse.jpg Tiberius reverse.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coin AJ and all the others.
    Tiberius 3.jpg
    TIBERIUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: TICAESARDIVIAVGFAVGVSTVS - Laureate head right
    REVERSE: PONTIF MAXIM - Livia seated right, holding spear and branch; ornamented chair legs
    Lugdunum 18-35 AD
    3.7g, 17mm
    RIC 29, C15
    Tiberius 5.jpg
    TIBERIUS
    AE 25mm (As)
    OBVERSE: TI CAESAR AVGVSTVS PON MAX IMP, laureate head left
    REVERSE: COL AVGVSTA EMERITA, campgate
    Struck at Emerita, Spain, 14-36 AD
    9.27g, 25mm
    RPC 42

13. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic!

14. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice coins do you have all, did is mine tiberius.CLEMENTIAE. this one is hard to make a foto from the details on the reverse

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Really like that one!

ro1974 likes this.
  16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Never seen that coin before, but yeah, it is nice.

ro1974 likes this.
  17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i just got a "coin on". :jawdrop:

18. Ancientnoob

I have spoken to a world collector who told me that is referred to as a "Kroner". :smuggrin:

chrsmat71 likes this.
  19. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Another stunning coin, Joe. Kudos!

I will now ruin this thread with its polar opposite, a fouree tribute penny...

Tiberius
    Fourée Denarius, Unknown mint, imitating Lyon, AD 14-37
    Obv.: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, Laureate bust right.
    Rev.: PONTIF MAXIM, Livia or Pax seated right.
    Reference: RIC I Tiberius 28 (p. 95)

fouree tribute penny.jpg

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

21. Ancientnoob

I would love to have this coin in my collection. WoW!!! Holy smokes. I think I have a new fav from Doug Smith.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted