Tresor de la region de Pontivy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Nov 18, 2021.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

For Medieval coin lovers/ these are lovely....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sand

sand Well-Known Member

Did you upload the photos? I don't see the photos.

4. panzerman

French Auction house CGB.fr. has 158 examples in their upcoming auction. Here is my fav. bry_677684.jpg

5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Wow, @panzerman. Just to stay in practice, I looked at my v. 1 of Duplessy, Royales. Looking a lot like No. 252, Chas. VI, issued 1340, not too long before Crécy.
    One really fun thing is that a lot of these particularly elaborate motifs from the 14th-century gold coins show up on jetons --apparently, for the most part, from the following century. Here are a couple I have pics of --both from UK detectorists on ebay.
    COINS, JETON,  TOURNAI, C. LATE 15TH C., OBV..jpg
    COINS, JETON,  TOURNAI, C. LATE 15TH C., REV..jpg
    France, Jeton, Fantastic, obv..JPG
    France, Jeton, Fantastic, rev..JPG

6. panzerman

Its a collectors dream when hoards of MS gold coins are found and are placed in auctions. In this one/ there are over 20 AV Mouton d'ors from Jean le Bon alone. I remember, when we still had in person coin club meetings/ one guy gave a presentation of medieval coinage/ basically telling us that these coins are boring/ not worth collecting. Next meeting I brought in 5 AV coins from the Burgundy region/ I think I changed some minds.

7. +VGO.DVCKS

Bravo!!!
    ...At my end of the spectrum, running more to deniers that have a way of looking suspiciously alike, I think you have to simply acknowledge that the historical contexts have to be one of the most compelling factors. If you're not invested, or at least interested in the history, you won't 'get it.' But to restate your point about the esthetics, most obviously from the 14th century (more selectively the 13th), with the larger modules in both metals, and designs to match, everything changes.

panzerman likes this.
  8. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Some guy must have taken his share from the mint before they went into circulation ;):D

John this is a 'golden' opportunity to get to your magic number:happy:

panzerman and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  9. panzerman

I will have to see if I have success at Sincona first. I am hopeing to get two from Pontivy Treasure hoard.:)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

Good luck!

panzerman likes this.
  11. panzerman

These days you need luck/ which means hopefully no interest in coins you are after.....

+VGO.DVCKS and Sulla80 like this.
  12. bartolus07

bartolus07 New Member

It seems to me that the auction of this magnificent treasure went very well. As it was not explicitly stated in the catalogue, it should be pointed out that the "Trésor de la région de Pontivy" is the "Trésor de Neulliac" published by A. Clairand in Trésors monétaires, XXII, Trésors de l'Ouest de la France, Paris, BnF, 2005, pp. 253-267.

+VGO.DVCKS, PeteB and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted