Trebonianus Gallus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pickin and Grinin, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I spent money I shouldn't have, I was feeling the bug and went out to a coin shop just hoping to find something under $10, I just had to have this coin.
    (spent more than I should have), But I think I got this one for a steal. LOL

[​IMG]

Gaius Vibius Trebonianus Gallus (206 - August, 253), was Roman Emperor from 251 to 253, in a joint rule with his son Volusianus.

Gallus was born in Italy, in a family with respected ancestry of Etruscan senatorial background. He had two children in his marriage with Afinia Gemina Baebiana: Gaius Vibius Volusianus, later Emperor, and a daughter, Vibia Galla. His early career was a typical cursus honorum, with several appointments, both political and military. He was suffect consul and in 250 was nominated governor of the Roman province of Moesia Superior, an appointment that showed the confidence of emperor Trajan Decius in him. In Moesia, Gallus was a key figure in repelling the frequent invasion attacks by the Gothic tribes of the Danube and became popular with the army, catered to during his brief Imperial rule by his official image: military haircut, gladiatorial physique, intimidating stance (illustration, left).

In June 251, Decius and his co-emperor and son Herennius Etruscus died in the Battle of Abrittus, at the hands of the Goths they were supposed to punish for raids into the empire, largely owing to the failure of Gallus to attack aggressively. When the army heard the news, the soldiers proclaimed Gallus emperor, despite Hostilian, Decius' surviving son, ascending the imperial throne in Rome. Gallus did not back down from his intention to become emperor, but accepted Hostilian as co-emperor, perhaps to avoid the damage of another civil war. While Gallus marched on Rome, an outbreak of plague struck the city and killed young Hostilian. With absolute power now in his hands, Gallus nominated his son Volusianus co-emperor.

Eager to show himself competent and gain popularity with the citizens, Gallus swiftly dealt with the epidemic, providing burial for the victims. Gallus is often accused of persecuting the Christians, but the only solid evidence of this allegation is the imprisoning of Pope Cornelius in 252.

Like his predecessors, Gallus did not have an easy reign. In the East, Persian Emperor Shapur I invaded and conquered the province of Syria, without any response from Rome. On the Danube, the Gothic tribes were once again on the loose, despite the peace treaty signed in 251. The army was not long pleased with the emperor, and when Aemilianus, governor of Moesia Superior and Pannonia, took the initiative of battle and defeated the Goths, the soldiers proclaimed him emperor. With a usurper threatening the throne, Gallus prepared for a fight. He recalled several legions and ordered reinforcements to return to Rome from the Rhine frontier. Despite these dispositions, Aemilianus marched onto Italy ready to fight for his claim. Gallus did not have the chance to face him in battle: he and Volusianus were murdered by their own troops in August 253, in Interamna (modern Terni). Before the arrival of Valerian. What exactly happened there is not clear.[11] Later sources claim that after an initial defeat, Gallus and Volusian were murdered by their own troops;[10] or Gallus did not have the chance to face Aemilian at all because his army went over to the usurper.[12] In any case, both Gallus and Volusian were killed in August 253.[13]

Such a short reign, imagine if our politicians were the leaders of our army's, Navy, and went into battle when there was a conflict.
    Sources
    Wikipedia
    Forvmancientscoins.
    Wildwinds

RIC 92, Off. IV
    Trebonianus Gallus Silvered Antoninianus. Antioch mint. IMP CC VIB TREB GALLVS PF AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, IV beneath bust. / VBERITAS AVG, Ubertas standing left, holding purse and cornucopiae, Mintmark: IV (officina 4).
    Weight 4 grams
    Diameter 20.63 MM

RIC 92; RSC 125c; Sear 9652.
    upload_2023-3-25_14-21-24.jpeg
    upload_2023-3-25_14-21-46.jpeg

Ubertas, or Vberitas Goddess of fertility, often holding a purse or sometimes grapes.
    Cornucopiae to symbol of abbundance, fecundity, fertility, and happiness.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Where is this magical place with coin shops that have ancient coins to peruse? I've never seen such a thing in the midwestern US.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

There are a few. But it is hit and miss finding good coins.
    This one came from Rocky Mountain Coin.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Feel free to post any Trebonianus Galus.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Trebonianus Gallus 1.jpg
    TREBONIANUS GALLUS
    AR Antoninianus
    OBVERSE:IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right
    REVERSE: LIBERTAS PVBLICA, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and transverse scepter
    Struck at Uncertain mint (Milan?), AD 252
    3.5g, 21mm
    RIC 70; Cohen 68; RCV 9636; Hunter 50

7. Cherd

I was so mesmerized by the thought of ancient coin shops that I forgot to post my Gallus example:
    upload_2023-3-25_18-10-30.png

8. Pickin and Grinin

I know the silvering is beautiful. The spot on the top of Vberitas is the only bronze or copper showing.

9. Cherd

Ya, when it comes to later antoniniani, I seek out examples that are either completely silvered or not silvered at all. Partial silvering can make an otherwise nice coin look a bit gnarly :yack:

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice pickup. I hadn't seen Uberitas before.

This is the only Trebonianus Gallus I have ever owned. It was part of my first Roman collection. I paid thirty bucks for it in 2007.

[​IMG]

11. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Your coin is silver, rather than silvered.

12. Pickin and Grinin

Do you have a reference? I searched and researched this morning. I found a few other references that put some of these at 4 to 4.3g.
    I surely thought it was also an AR besides what was on the flip. It's very silver looking.
    This is Forvms example.
    Ric 92, Off. lV
    https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/trebonianus_gallus/t.html

13. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Nice coin! It’s ok to spend a little more than you should sometimes. Here are a few of my Trebonianus Gallus coins.

TrebonianusGallusAntiochRICIV79.JPG
    TrebonianusGallusAlexandriaEmmett3674.JPG
    …and my favorite of Volusian:
    VolusianRomeRICIV179.JPG

14. Pickin and Grinin

15. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

There are some. I found a secret place i california. Just gotta looo around

16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Trebonianus Gallus, AE 8 Assaria - SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch.
    ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Γ ΟΥΙΒ ΤΡƐΒ ΓΑΛΛΟϹ ϹƐΒ, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right seen from rear
    ΑΝΤΙΟΧƐΩΝ ΜΗΤΡΟ ΚΟΛΩΝ, , Portable shrine with four columns enclosing statue of Tyche seated, facing, with river god (Orontes) facing, at her feet ; above temple, ram advancing right, head left ; Δ Ɛ across field above temple, SC at exergue ; and carry-bars at the base of the shrine
    21.08 g - 30mm - 6h)
    Ref : RPC vol IX # 1851, Sear # 4350, McAlee 1181; SNG Copenhagen 292 (same rev. die).

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted