Treatment Options

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gregg, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

My dad and I swore a solemn oath to buy no coins in August.
    This was to give the 'ole bank accounts a rest - July had been an expensive month.

As of Friday, August 10th, my dad had averaged two new purchases a day; however, I was holding out strong because I'm a better person than he is and I keep my word.

Someone has to be the adult.

So on Saturday, August 11th he drags me off to a coin shop - because he's a bad influence - and he's looking at me, and the coin dealer (Dave) is looking at me, and I feel all this pressure because I don't want to be the square [] in the room so I end up buying a couple of stepped on 21s. (1)

All of this kind of hurt my feelings because saying stupid stuff like "I'm not buying any coins this month" is what you tell the wife - but not your coin shopping buddy. My dad cannot be trusted.

Since this month is blown I might as well go see if eBay has some deals...

NOTES
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: Peace Dollars - I consider all other coinage to be 'tokens'.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I strongly suggest staying away from the for sale section on CT. It's worse than heroin to a junkie.

Gregg likes this.
  4. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

You could always try to sell some of his coins and that should keep you busy. Its also an effective way to gauge the demand for your coin as well. Otherwise, he is doing just fine. At least he is enjoying it instead of booze, drugs and women. Pick one.

Gregg likes this.
  5. Robert91791

Take him out somewhere like plan to do something that is tied to a history of a coin.

6. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

He picked two: He drinks as well.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There should be a sign like this, only in red, flashing, neon - above the entrance to "coin collecordom" !

[​IMG]

8. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

One approach, that may or may not work for you, is to up your standards for quality and rarity. This may increase the price enough that your buying frequency will drop. Instead of stepped on 21s, go for certified MS64's or better in all dates. In the end, it's what makes you happiest though. :)

Cal

Gregg likes this.
  9. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I'm intentionally getting some well worn coins for fun.

Also, just about every time we go to this dealer we buy something because he takes the time to learn us stuff. We tell this dealer that we want good deals - not enough to starve his kids - just enough so that they are thankful for bread when they get it.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Might try and buy a book or two instead of coins. tough on some people, but until you get a shelf with some, you are selling yourself short. Anyone can buy a coin, few can be sure of what they are buying with their money. Jim

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And even fewer are correct in what they're sure of!

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

True Jeff! College starts tomorrow, and that seems to be true for many of the new "professors". They are picked now by the 'social' methods' rather than ability, as sadly so many things are now. Jim

13. Robert91791

Social drinking is ok. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted