Treasure Bath!!! Folks in Florida find sunken treasure!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

We need more wrecks in Southwest Florida!

Chris

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

And Spain will certainly try to claim it.

miedbe7 likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Yeah, I can already see the headlines as Spain delays the whole process up in Court for years to come...and such a cool discovery!!

Any metal detector enthusiasts out in that area or St Augustine?? I often wonder if they find anything of value on land?? Being a New Yorker, I just visit from decade to decade .....

6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I'm sure glad that when I found my trove of gold, I kept it under my hat....

[​IMG]

7. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

One coin alone is half the value, something called a Tricentennial Royal. I'm not a world coin expert or novice for that matter. I wonder if it being part of a shipwreck increases the value or decreases? These Royal coins sound like early proofs from the US Mint, made for dignitaries and presentation pieces.

Either way, super cool. Let the litigation begin!

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Time Magazine news - quote "The haul includes 51 gold coins, 40 ft. of ornate gold chain and a Tricentennial Royal, an extremely rare Spanish coin valued at over $500,000" unquote - WOW :wideyed:

9. Brett_in_Sacto

Before fearing litigation, I'd fear the IRS. Remember this one? It happened less than 100 miles from here (and boy did we feel the rumble!) Greedy revenuers!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...nds-10-million-in-gold-coins-taxes-take-half/

Which is why you should keep your discoveries under your hat!

I get paying my fair share of taxes (seems to be a lot more than my fair share anymore ) - but found money? Greed and impunity are a bad combination!

10. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I have no problem with this "family" paying taxes on their found profits. Heck, they'll pay a lot less than they would have years ago - so much so, the economy can't function efficiently for 90% of us. Ever notice how your customers can't afford anything anymore?

I opened this thinking a family, playing on the beach found a treasure washed ashore in a storm. Only on FOX is a corporation a family or folks.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  11. Brett_in_Sacto

That's so kind of you to encourage others to pay more than their fair share of taxes. We can only hope that someone is kind enough to return your generosity someday. :)

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Got one in Southeast
    [​IMG]

Jwt708 and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah, I'm sure Spain is already plotting a way to get it back in their grubby hands. To their defense it was their property that was not intentionally lost.

Idk how you could keep this under wraps. I could see the family keeping a few pieces but the special piece belongs in a museum. No way to sell to the highest bidder keeping the story under wraps. I think being from a ship wreck does add quite a bit of value to the pieces. Very cool story.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Found in US waters.......Spain can go pound sand.......

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Also.....Ships of the line or merchantman? If merchantman they have absolutely no claim.

16. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted