Translating weirdly written letter?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dansco_Dude, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Really? Boy I been out of circulation a while….. How’s a person supposed to sign their name?

longshot and masterswimmer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

X

4. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I know several young people who's signature is their name printed.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Dansco_Dude

Dansco_Dude Active Member

The mention of it being a foreign language was a joke, but understanding the cursive was not.

For a younger person like me [early 30's], cursive was phased out in school. The only cursive I use today is in my signature.

Fun discussion everyone! It's an interesting observation that cursive is an important skill for researchers. Since I started researching coin albums, it has been difficult to comprehend old letters and documents. I could only read around 30% of the letter in my post. These days I upload a photo to ChatGPT to transcribe. It tends to be pretty accurate.

6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Honestly, I'm disgusted with this transition of education/indoctrination.

I don't want to earn a time out, or worse.

Peace out.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

WOW!! It’s best if I don’t comment what’s on my mind right now. I will say that apparently things are worse than I thought. WOW!!

8. Dansco_Dude

In case folks are curious, here's how AI transcribed the cursive. Other than mistaking 'missions' with 'pioneers' it's pretty good!

[​IMG]

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I should add that in my senior year, 12th grade, it was the first year that 7th graders were allowed to have calculators in school. My high school was 7 through 12 so yes, I’m getting old but I refuse to act my age.

10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Hmmm...chatGpt color codes things like Insider does. I knew he wasn't human. He certainly doesn't behave or write like a human.

charley, Randy Abercrombie and ddddd like this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I logged in today just to like this comment.
    Carry on...

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, no, that's how you mark your territory after you buy a giant company. :rolleyes:

13. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

Apparently you've never read my cursive before. The millennials have a point about my writing, so I print now. :p

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Touché

-jeffB likes this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Its the electronics! Voice to print is very common in most class rooms if documents are required. When I last taught online last year, Myself and the students used speech , but also the conversations were converted by the link computers to print which could be stored or downloaded by teacher and/or student. I could convert several languages into English and so could they. It was easy for the slower ones to
    repeat them to catch any parts they missed. I kept the communication on several discs. About the only cursive I or they really need in life is their signatures., IMO.
    I started teaching science in college in 1967 and all then was cursive.Now they use their phone, computer, other electronic device . Jim

-jeffB likes this.
  16. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I'm doubtful that cursive signatures are required for anything at this point. Any signature of import for me in the last 5 years or so has been done via "docsign" or similar, and many signatures are just swirls on a tablet at a store. If anyone wanted to verify the authenticity of anything based on my cursive signature, I can't imagine it holding up in court any differently from my printed name.

-jeffB likes this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

Marking territory and CoinCorgi....there is the start of a joke....

Randy Abercrombie and CoinCorgi like this.
  18. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Signatures are how they verify vote-by-mail...they compare to your signature on voter registration rosters. How many are "X"?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  19. Dansco_Dude

That is correct! Here are photos of the album and inside contents

https://imgur.com/a/PEUbiGc

CoinCorgi likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I was always getting in trouble for not using cursive. My dad taught me to write the way he was taught. You could not rest your hand on the table. I must have drew a million loops on the old three line paper. When I left school I only used cursive. When I went into the business world I had my own style of cursive writing that I still use today.
    I leave out letters and words that are not needed. It was tough for anyone to read my notes. I can write properly but it's rare that I need to. It's too slow for me.

21. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

That is not a "mistake." It is an intentional substitution for an "idea" that is not palatable to the woke, cancel cultural elements driving "artificial intelligence." They will not allow any thoughts / ideas that are out of sync with their agenda.

Z

Draft saved Draft deleted