Translating weirdly written letter?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dansco_Dude, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Dansco_Dude

Dansco_Dude Active Member

Help Requested!

This letter was included in one of my old Dansco albums. But it appears to be written in some foreign language. It is almost bordering on hieroglyphics. I think the author of the letter may have been Greek.

Has anyone seen this before? How would I go about translating this?

[​IMG]

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

“Congratulations on winning a set of
    California Mission Medals in bronze.
    Please call me or come to my office
    so that I may record your name
    and address and thus assure you
    of receiving the remaining medals
    as they are issued. We will also
    replace the enclosed album with
    our new and improved model,
    which is now in production.”

…Spark

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You are kidding right?
    I read the message written in script in just a few seconds o_O

5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Um, is this a late April Fool's joke? Surely the ability to read cursive script hasn't disappeared that quickly?

6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I thought that it was Klingon.

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

8. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

It's in English.
    You would think, but at my work, I've had at least two young new hires that have asked me to print the names on my vital sign sheets because they couldn't read cursive. And my penmanship is quite good, so it wasn't a matter of sloppy handwriting.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Apparently, they don't teach cursive any more. So to a younger person, this would in fact be illegible.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Selective schooling delivers pretty sad results.

Fortunately, we are not yet at the point where an archeologist must be hired to read the US constitution, but it won't be long now . . .

masterswimmer and PlanoSteve like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

For old script writing it was fairly easy to read. Don’t they teach English in school any longer?

12. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Chime back in @Dansco_Dude , I'm really curious to get a handle on whether this was a joke or not. Not being judgmental, if a person hasn't been taught something then it should not be a surprise to anybody that they do not have the knowledge base to perform a learned task.

Born in 1976, I of course was taught cursive in elementary school. I've heard that it is not being taught anymore, and I do not feel strongly one way or the other about it. I've found that I use handwriting so infrequently in my later life (and use print when need arises) that I've lost a lot of my skill in writing cursive. I can pull it off, but it takes quite a bit of effort (How do you bridge between those two letters again?! :inpain:). If it's of that little use to me as an adult, then maybe it's not a good use of time to teach it to the younger generations.

I apparently can still read it pretty well though, as I got through the OP letter at almost normal speed (had to do a double take on a few words). But, it never occurred to me until now that cursive would look like "hieroglyphics" to somebody with no exposure. If so, then that is interesting.

13. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I graduated high school in 2010. I can confirm that they don't teach cursive anymore, as the last time I was required to use it was in fifth grade.

14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Duh, I knew that.

15. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

Actually it has. Cursive was removed by the Federal government from K-12 common core in 2010, but it was fading long before that. As a historian I am saddened by the idea that cursive is no longer taught. How can one expect students learn to read primary sources and documents? We need look no further than the original poster's thoughts that something written in cursive was a foreign language and he needed a translation. It's not his fault but the fault of the system in which he was educated.

It is so sad to see a population of young people who are ignorant of a writing system that has existed for centuries, sadly not one of them would be able to read any document written in cursive, for example the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, or Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Of course transcriptions exist for all of the aforementioned but that is not the point. Being able to read primary source documents broadens one's understanding of history. It's a shame that the Federal Government considers cursive to be irrelevant.

16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

My grandson is learning cursive this year in the 4th grade. Then again, he is not being taught by the public school system. The social skills are coming from home, and the academics are coming from school.

Our nation will lament this current scholastic trend when our current youth, strong in peripheral subjects and unable to compete with foreigners in critical academics, cannot lead us forward.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  17. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

What the ferk? Wow.

18. CoinCorgi

Nice medals. Didn't know about these. Must do research. Thanks for posting the pic.

derkerlegand likes this.
  19. CoinCorgi

Did the album have anything to do with the Mission Medals?

20. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I learned cursive in school, and still write with it to this day. Many of my peers don't though, and have no idea what I'm writing. My cursive writing is sloppy, but my printing is even worse. It's really too bad that I don't have to write very often, so my notes forever look like they've been written by a twelve-year-old. I look at these old documents and wonder how long it took for them to write so uniformly.

Tall Paul likes this.
  21. CoinCorgi

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted