Transit Token Help

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jwt708, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if any of the transit token collectors could help me out with the below token:

NE170a Lincoln.jpg
    O: LINCOLN CITY LINES, INC. / L (cutout) / NEB.
    R: GOOD FOR / ONE AIR BASE FARE
    Cunningham NE170a, Atwood NE540S, steel or iron, 23mm

What I was wondering is if Atwood has any info on when this token was used. There were some other bases in Nebraska that have transit tokens, and they were WWII but those bases didn't last past WWII while this one persisted. Any help is appreciated.

A little about Lincoln:
    Lincoln Airfield began in the early 1920s and according to Wikipedia, it's where Charles Lindbergh learned to fly. It eventually was a contracted location for Army pilot training but that was later moved to Florida. With WWII kicking off the Army needed aifields and Lincoln was reactivated as Lincoln Army Airfield. In 1946 the base was placed in inactive status and this is where Nebraska Air National Guard (ANG) was stood up as well as a Navy Guard unit. In 1952 with the outbreak of the Korean war, the Nebraska senators were able to get the base reactivated as Lincoln Air Force Base. They had refueler and bomber aircraft and ended up with a missile unit as well. The base was again deactivated in 1966 and went to civilian use as Lincoln Airport. Today, there is still a Nebraska ANG unit flying KC-135s.

Sorry about the crummy picture. I haven't found my tripod yet, my camera is dead, and I don't have any more coin holders at the moment.

Also, a big THANK YOU! to @H8_modern for gifting me with this cool token! I just got around to updating my token spreadsheet and this guy needs some attention!

Feel free to post any transit tokens or whatever. Again, thanks for the help.

longnine009 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

Hope you don't mind me making this a little lighter, but I couldn't see much detail because it was so dark.

NE170a Lincoln.jpg

I also have something like this but for Dallas and Austin Tx.

Token 3.jpg
    Token 2.jpg

Token 4a.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    longnine009, Circus and Jwt708 like this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ron!

5. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Atwood 5th edition token S Steel, 23mm it was used 1944 about $1.00 value, Token T Brass 23mm it was used 1945 about $3.50 they are the only two listed for the air base fares. That all the info in the listing for those.

green18, Jwt708 and longnine009 like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Circus ! That's exactly what I was looking for. So now I can put this token against the Army Air Field!

7. Circus

Any time !

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The 4th edition also lists a zinc version for 1943.

The steels are often found with some wear and my best is only VF.

Some listings in older versions are inaccurate.

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Good to know! Cunningham only lists two tokens for Lincoln, both are transit tokens. Cunningham is seriously out of date. I wish he would update it the volumes, there is a lot of new information that's come up since 1994 - don't get me wrong, I love the volumes! I appreciate the info @cladking and will add it to my notes.

10. Circus

In the volume two, fourth edition History of the tokens by Atwood token S 30,000 were struck in two orders beginning 7/44. Token T 20,000 struck 5/45

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What is S and T? I thought it was the material?

12. Circus

That is his designator For each token in a state makes it easier for him in referring to a token from one volume to another. It does make it easier to find in these door stops! I can't remember what the other volume equally hefty is about
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Wow those must have been quite the project to write!

14. Circus

They cover from Horse drawn street cars to today and some of the histories on the assorted lines are more than some will want to now!

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That actually sounds pretty interesting. I don't need another collecting for us though.

Draft saved Draft deleted