Trajanus Decius - Dacia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Dec 20, 2020.

1. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

When I started collecting ancient coins, I wanted at least one coin related to Dacia. Not the "true" Dacian drachms, as I simply don't like them (they are similar somehow to Celtic drachm imitations). The Koson coins were way out of my league.

Of course I know a lot of coins were issued under Trajan, the conqueror of Dacia, but I couldn't find one with true Dacian symbols (the Column, the Danube bridge...) in my price range.
    While browsing to an auction today and being outbid on a lot of Imperial coins (it looks like I wasn't the only one preparing the Christmas gift) I found this.
    upload_2020-12-20_23-9-25.png
    Decent condition, decent price (I thought it would get higher but I won it without crying too much).
    I identified it as

Trajan Decius AD 249-251. Rome Antoninianus AR 21 mm., 2,28 g.
    RIC IV Trajan Decius 12
    Date Range: AD 249 - AD 251
    Obverse IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG
    Type: Bust of Trajan Decius, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right

Reverse DACIA
    Type: Dacia, draped in long robe reaching feet, standing left holding staff topped with a wolf's head (Draco)
    Not sure if it's RIC 12 or 13 as I don't see the difference between them.

I am sure there is an error on RIC and OCRE as the reverse is described as "holding vertical staff with head of ass in right hand". This is illogical as the staff with the wolf head was a Dacian symbol and what they mention is not related to Dacia.

I am happy with the coin as this is my first coin related to Dacia (not counting the Trajan coins with the obverse legend Traiano AVG GER DAC); also my first Decius coin, I just found out that he named himself Trajanus to honor the emperor Trajan.

Post your coins related to Dacia, please.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

4. ambr0zie

Thanks, great topic and info, I wasn't aware of it!

5. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Nice coin.
    Trajan Decius
    image1.jpg
    Philip I, Provincia Dacia
    image.jpg

6. ambr0zie

Interesting Philip I!
    I wasn't aware there were provincial coins minted in Dacia. I see the reverse is very similar to the Viminacium coinage (lion and eagle vs lion and bull)

+VGO.DVCKS and Roman Collector like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Trajan Decius antoninianus

0360-210.jpg

Q

8. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ruler: Trajan Decius (Augustus)
    Coin: Silver Antoninianus
    IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG - radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right
    DACIA - Dacia standing left, holding draco standard or vertical staff surmounted by ass's head
    Mint: (249-251 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 4.07g / 22mm / -
    References RIC 12., RSC 1
    Notes: May 11, 16 - I am pretty sure that the "ass's head" is in fact a draco.

Photo doesn't show the lustre which is quite nice in hand.

9. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Thanks, @ancient coin hunter, for posting the link from @Roman Collector.
    One example of these was the first coin I bought as a kid, in the earlier 1970s, which was Roman (in context, 3rd-4th century) and still, recognizably silver in composition. Decades later, I was gifted an example which is only better, for which I wish I had good pics.

gogili1977 and Roman Collector like this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Great example, @ambr0zie. Here's mine:

Trajan Decius-Dacia with Draco, version 2.jpg

You can see very clearly on mine and most of the others posted here, I think, that it's a wolf's head (Draco), not an "ass's" head. Unfortunately, many dealers tend to repeat outdated descriptions if they're still in the catalogs.

11. ambr0zie

I wasn't aware about @Roman Collector's thread but I think everybody agrees that the symbol has nothing to do with a donkey. When I searched for the RIC number, after buying the coin, and saw the description, I knew it's wrong.
    I found this coin for sale on various websites, but some of the sellers described it correctly.
    I am from Romania, I know a lot about Dacia and Dacians, as they are our ancestors. The donkey isn't a Dacian symbol, but the wolf is.
    The only thing I don't like about my coin is that the wolf head is either worn or incorrectly struck as it doesn't look like a wolf head.

A commemorative coin from 2019, with this Dacian symbol on it.
    upload_2020-12-21_1-18-28.png

[​IMG]

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

It looks kind of like a carnyx in this illustration.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I prefer to use the Carnyx description for this reverse.
    ro1260fd1802.jpg
    There is also a Dacia Felix reverse with a standard.
    ro1265bb2531.jpg

14. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Ae sestertius of Trajan Decius with Dacia reverse...

3470531.jpg

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

TRAJAN DECIUS

[​IMG]
    RI Trajan Decius 249-251 CE AR Ant Dacia draco standard

I am going to argue that mine is the Staff of the Winged Hippopotamus...

octavius, Andres2, Orielensis and 5 others like this.
  16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Although I argue otherwise, mine really DOES look like a donkey head!

Trajan Decius DACIA antoninianus closeup.jpg

octavius, Andres2, Orielensis and 4 others like this.
  17. ambr0zie

Alegandron, eparch and DonnaML like this.
  18. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice Dacia! Decius has an interesting variety of references to the Eastern European provinces on his coins:

Rom – Trajan Decius, antoninian, Dacia.png
    Trajan Decius, Roman Empire, AR antoninian, 249–251 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP C Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG; bust of Trajan Decius, draped, cuirassed, and laureate, r. Rev: DACIA: Dacia standing left, holding draco. 22mm, 3.66g. Ref: RIC IV Traian Decius 12.

Rom – Trajan Decius, Antoninian, Genius des illyrischen Heers.png
    Trajan Decius, Roman Empire, antoninian, 249–251 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG; bust of Trajan Decius, radiate, draped and cuirassed, r. Obv: GENIUS EXERC ILLVRICIANI; Genius of the Illyrian army standing l., holding patera and cornucopia, modius on head, standard to r. 23mm, 4.67g. Ref: RIC IV Trajan Decius 16.

Rom – Trajan Decius, Antoninian, Pannoniae.png
    Trajan Decius, Roman Empire, AR antoninianus, 249–251 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG, bust of Trajan Decius, draped and radiate, r. Rev: PANNONIAE, the two Pannoniae standing, holding standards. 23mm, 4.14g. Ref: RIC IV,3 Trajan Decius 21b.

octavius, Alegandron, Bing and 5 others like this.
  19. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have two Provincia Dacia coins:
    Trajan Decius AE27 Moushmov Dacia 10 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG IMG_E7957.JPG

Both coins experienced an extremely harsh chemical cleaning. If you think they look bad now, you shoulda seen them before...

20. ambr0zie

Quite embarrassing that I found about Provincia Dacia coinage from this thread.
    I'm sure I saw others in the past but I was convinced they are Viminacium and skipped them, as I have one and that's enough for me.

21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It's definitely very similar for sure, a very similar motif, but different because Dacia holds two standards while Vim has hands down.
    My only two Vims:
    Gordian III AMNG 82 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

Trebonianus Gallus Vimanacium AMNG 165 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

Different animals but the same type of "theme" - city personification surrounded by two representative animals.

I wonder if the similarities were intentional.

Draft saved Draft deleted