Trajan, why so blue ? It's Friday!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IMP Shogun, Jun 11, 2021.

1. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Happy Friday!

The below Trajan was acquired because I like the fine style of the portrait and the reverse with Aequitas is well struck even with some of the legend worn and a bit of a flan defect. The toning, in particular the blue, I'm not sure I love but certainly tolerate for the above reasons. I was curious to hear opinion's about the toning. I'm not giving the coin up, so don't worry about holding back if you don't like it.

[​IMG]
    Trajan, Denarius circa 108-109, AR 18.90 mm., 3.32 g listed as a variant of RIC 119 (slight drapery on left, but could be I believe incorrectly identified as an aegis).

Do you have any interesting toning?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I like my AP toned denarius:

P1180688.JPG

4. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Rare with aegis on emperor's shoulder and behind neck: Woytek 279cC (4 spec.) or 279e (3 spec.).

5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

And the aegis is very detailed and in great shape.

IMP Shogun likes this.
  6. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@IMP Shogun ....That's a lovely looking coin!
    I actually find the the toning "Really" appealing....Super detail!...
    I do have one interestingly toned coin...It has a wonderful blue and golden toning..
    Domitian. 81-96 AR Denarius (3.17 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 81 AD.
    Obv.: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head right.
    Rev.: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P, tripod surmounted by a dolphin right. RIC II#74.

DOMITIAN WHITE.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

A simple Trajan denarius/ Spes reverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I like the toning! Have a similarly toned coin:
    Series J, type 85.jpg
    Series J type 85 sceatta.

9. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Shogun, That's a very attractive denarius despite the cleaning scratches :happy:! I like the toning on my Caracalla Tet ;).

Caracalla, AD 205-207, Antioch, Syria, AR Tet., 14.32 gm, 27 mm, 11h. Prieur 202 (2).jpg
    Antioch-Syria, Caracalla as Augustus, AD 198-217 (struck AD 205-207). AR Tetradrachm: 14.31 gm, 27 mm, 11 h. Ex Michel Prieur Collection.

10. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

How about this Aurelius Al? I've been looking to upgrade my Aurelius denarius for a while, but it's tough finding a decent portrait and legend. The toning makes him look like a California surfer or Bill Walton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin, my fav toning is a Trajan also. Trajan Column.jpg

12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have only two interestingly toned coins.

#1: Vespasian denarius. The blue appears to the result of sulfur-laden envelopes from the 70s.
    IMG_E8089.JPG

#2: Trajan denarius. This coin developed artificially induced toning after I subjected it to a veritable gauntlet of chemicals to clean it.
    IMG_E9246.JPG
    Trajan AR Drachm Syd Bostra 385.jpeg
    (The problem is, the dark spot on the bottom half of the obverse is now a very dark gray, after a couple months. I suspect it will continue to get black. I don't know how to reverse it :( )

#3: For fun, here's a FAKE Vespasian denarius with some attractive toning. This was the first fake coin I bought. I learned a lot from this experience.
    Vespasian AR Denarius Fake.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted