Trajan Tetradrachm of Tyre: Trajan and the Incredible Hulk

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Trajan Melqart tetradracm of Tyre .jpg
    PHOENICIA, Tyre. Trajan, 98-117 AD. AR Tetradrachm
    Laureate head with eagle below / Head of Melqart draped in lion skin.

Well, it was bound to happen. I got me my first Roman Tetradrachm, and it just so happens to have the coolest Roman Emperor ever, Trajan! And look at that sleek eagle below his bust. And on the reverse is Melqart, the Phoenician version of Hercules?

Melqart looks sort of like the incredible hulk...all pumped up! But he does have a little bit of resemblance to Caracalla, does he not?:confused:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice grab for a first tet. Hopefully I won't have to fight you in this field in the future, they're addicting ;)

[​IMG]
    Trajan (98 - 117 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    PHOENICIA, Tyre
    Dated COS 5, year 15 (111 AD)
    O: AVTOKP KAIC NEP TPAIANOC CEB ΓEPM ∆AK, Laureate head right set on eagle standing right; club to left.
    R: ∆HMAPX - EΞ IE YΠAT E, laureate bust of Melqart draped in lion-skin.
    24mm
    13.7g
    Prieur 1515; BMC Phoenicia pg. 301, 15

[​IMG]
    Trajan (98 - 117 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P, Laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder.
    R: COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC, Spes walking left, flower in right, raising hem of skirt.
    Rome
    3.5g
    20mm
    SRCV II 3127, RIC II 127, RSC II 84

icerain, Theodosius, Andres2 and 12 others like this.
  5. Sallent

Well @Mat, if we are bringing out the denarii, I do have to roll my beauty out. I don't normally like to brag as I am a very humble person. To quote Donald Trump, "No one is more humble than me, believe me!" :p However, I always like to make an exception for this coin. The pictures truly don't do this gem any justice, and that Mars reverse is something else. It was worth a pretty penny, but it was money well spent as it always cheers me up to look at this coin in my collection.

Trajan Mars  Denarii.jpg

Anyway, no need to compete. There are plenty of Roman tets to go around for all of us. Can't wait to add more to my collection, and also to see any new acquisitions you add to yours, Mat.

icerain, Andres2, Cucumbor and 10 others like this.
  6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Nice score @Sallent, Sadly Tets I only have a few of & we've all seen them. Along with my recent & only Tet I've picked up in a little while.
    Your Trajan is a great addition, congrats.

Sallent likes this.
  7. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Always nice to see a fellow Spaniard!
    Lovely coin Sallent!!

Hispanicus and Sallent like this.
  8. Sallent

Any of you have any clue as to the precise date of my tet? Not sure if it even has one as part of the legend is off the flan... and I don't know a lot about these yet. Either way, date or no date, I still think it's cool.

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

YΠAT E = COS V = RY15 = AD 110/11

Sallent likes this.
  10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A very nice tet in lovely style Sallent. Congrats!

Sallent likes this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Not a tetradrachm, not a Trajan, not even a contemporary coin, but here's a Melquart:

[​IMG]
    Tyre, Phoenica
    AE25, 12.5g; 12h; 2nd-1st Century BC
    Obv.: Head of Heracles-Melqart right
    Rev.: MHTPONΠOΛΕΩΝ; Club surmounted by monogram of Tyre, all within oak wreath

This coin's been dying to get shown off.

12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Love how these lovely coins make their rounds!

John Anthony likes this.
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice catch @Sallent, I love those syro-phenician tets either, and the Trajan/Melqart has been among the first I ever bought...

The eagle on yours is absolutely gorgeous

[​IMG]
    ROMAN EMPIRE, TRAJAN Tetradrachm, Prieur 1495 Tyre mint, c. AD 110-111
    ΑΥΤΟΚΡ ΚΑΙC ΝΕΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ ΓΕΡΜ ΔΑΚ, Laureate bust of Trajan right, eagle in field
    ΔΗΜΑΡΚ ΕΞ ΥΠΑTΕ, Laureate bust of Melkhart right
    15.34 gr
    Ref : Sear #1088 var, Prieur # 1495_179, Mc Alee # 455

Q

14. Sallent

That is a very lovely example. The amount of detail is incredible. Thanks for sharing yours.

Cucumbor likes this.
  15. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Shoot, that's a huge portrait... still a good coin. ;)

16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A-noob's secret message here is that the coin once belonged to him. So in addition to being a great coin, it's got lofty provenance. :)

Ancientnoob, Alegandron and Sallent like this.
  17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I believe Melqart is shown on the obverse of this silver Tet. The letters Sigma and Iota make me think that it was struck in Sidon- Phoenicia. Hope I'm right. The coin weighs 13.26 g.

MelqSid O 001.jpg MelqSid R 001.jpg

icerain, Bing, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  18. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

@Sallent , nice coin, I see the club of Heracles (left of the eagle), but I don't see a lion head dress on Melquart ?
    @7Calbrey , I'm pretty sure its a portrait of King Ptlomy of Egypt
    Dont have a Tet of Trajan, here's my denarius:
    [​IMG]

19. Sallent

Look at the bottom of the portrait, he is wearing a lion's due with crossed paws tied around his neck. You can see it better in @Cucumbor 's high grade sample. He is not supposed to have a lion's head dress, but rather the top edge of a lion fur coat visible.

I corrected my description. I see I accidentally said he had a lion head dress, that was my mistake. Thanks.

20. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Thanks A2. I searched following your accurate instruction. It's likely to be Ptolemy 10 Soter of Egypt. Do the letters Sigma and Iota to left of reverse refer to the date or mint?

Draft saved Draft deleted