Trajan provincial featuring Europa (and that's no bull)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Here's a cheap but interesting coin that I recently acquired:
    Trajan Phoenicia Sidon.jpg
    Roman Empire, Phoenicia, Sidon. AE 21. Trajan (98-117 AD). Obverse: Radiate bust of Trajan right. Reverse: Zeus in guise of bull rearing right, Europa seated on his back with arms in the air; below, inscription in Greek SIDWNOS ThEAS (Goddess of Sidon). Cf. BMC 217. This coin: @John Anthony auction.

Trajan (reigned 98-117 AD) was one of the most militarily successful of the Roman emperors, and when he died the Roman Empire was at its maximum territorial extent. He is best remembered for his successful war to conquer Dacia (roughly modern Romania), but he also annexed Nabataea and fought a series of campaigns against Parthia that resulted in gaining Armenia and Mesopotamia for the Romans. However, his chosen successor Hadrian realized the new Eastern territories would be too difficult to maintain, and withdrew from Mesopotamia and Armenia.

Sidon was a major city for the Phoenician culture, and has continued to be inhabited to the present day (it is now the third-largest city in Lebanon). The reverse type of this coin clearly depicts the myth of the abduction of Europa by Zeus. Europa, according to most versions of the myth, was a daughter of the king of the Phoenician city of Tyre. One day, she was out tending a herd of cattle, when Zeus saw her and decided to seduce her. Zeus transformed himself into a white bull and mingled with the herd; Europa began petting the beautiful beast, eventually sitting its back. At this point, Zeus ran into the sea and swam to Crete with Europa clinging to his back. She bore several children to Zeus before settling down and marrying King Asterios. "Europa on the back of the bull" is a frequent subject of Hellenistic art, and the design is found on Roman Provincial coins of Sidon from emperors Augustus through Elagabalus; the author Lucian of Samosata (2nd century AD) even mentions this coinage in a discussion of Europa. At first I was puzzled by my coin's naming of Europa as the "Goddess of Sidon" rather than Astarte, a goddess of fertility, sexuality, and warfare who was very popular in Phoenicia. However, Lucian writes that the natives of Sidon believed Europa to be identical to Astarte.

Overall, this was a decent purchase for $15. The condition is of course not at all pristine, but the main design elements are clear, and it features an interesting bit of ancient mythology. Post your coins of Sidon, or that feature Europa.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Interesting! Here's a Trajan of Phoenicia with Trajan taking a back seat, size-wise, to Astarte-Europa. I guess the cataloger from whom I copied the attribution wasn't sure either :D.

[​IMG]
    PHOENICIA, Arados. Trajan
    CY 375 (CE 116/7)
    Æ22, 9.65 g
    Obv: draped bust of Astarte-Europa right; before, small laureate and draped bust of Trajan
    Rev: bull charging left
    Reference: SNG Copenhagen 81; BMC 374

4. Erhan

Erhan Active Member

Trajan is my favorite emperor . As I collect Persian coins, I like roman emperors who has interaction (mostly war and sometimes peace ) with Persians and Trajan was one of those who tried to beat Parthians without much success.

4430324.jpg

SELEUCIS and PIERIA, Antioch. Trajan. AD 98-117. AR Tetradrachm (26mm, 15.18 g, 6h). Struck AD 98-99. Laureate head of Trajan right, set on eagle standing right; palm frond to upper left, club to right / Laureate bust of Melkart-Hercules right, with lion’s skin tied around neck. Prieur 1477 (Tyre); McAlee 450; RPC III 3523/14 (this coin cited and illustrated). Good VF, toned with areas of find patina.

From the Michel Prieur Collection. Ex Cisjordania Hoard I, no. 278 (1996).

RPC plate coin, Ex CNG

4410342.jpg

CILICIA, Tarsus. Trajan. AD 98-117. AR Tetradrachm (26mm, 13.52 g, 12h). Struck AD 103-111. Laureate head right; c/m: laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right of Commodus(?); K before; all within oval incuse / Tyche seated right on rocky outcropping, holding palm frond with right hand; below, half-length figure of river-god Cydnus swimming right; civic monogram to right. Prieur 758; cf. SNG Levante 991; cf. SNG BN 1393-4; RPC III 3257; for countermark: Howgego 842. Near VF, toned, some porosity; c/m is Fine. Extremely rare, only two known to Prieur, and one on CoinArchives.

From the Michel Prieur Collection. Ex G. Hirsch 214 (15 February 2001), lot 1706.
    Ex-CNG

5. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Interesting types. Both came from the same seller, but I don't remember if they were in the same lot. The 2nd I did a write up on.
    g059.jpg
    Trajan
    AE 22, Arados Mint
    116/117 AD
    Obvs: No inscription. Draped bust of Astarte-Europa right; before, small laureate and draped bust of Trajan.
    Revs: EOT APAΔIWN, Humped bull galloping left.
    22mm, 8.3g
    Ref: BMC 374

g070.jpg
    Phoenicia Arados
    Year 164, 96/95 BC
    Obvs: Female bust Astarte-Europa right, wearing stephane, and veil over back of head. Border of dots.
    Revs: Phoenician script "Yodh Shin Beth Daleph Mem" (yšbdm) above, Recumbent humped bull lying left. Aradian ΔΞP date in ex.
    AE 21x22mm, 10.37g
    Ref: BMC 324; Duyrat 4418/4419; HGC 10, 79 (R2)

Draft saved Draft deleted