Trajan Decius Tetradrachm Rarity Added

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I've been on a quest to acquire all the Syrian Tets of Antioch, from Trajan Decius, that identify the different Officina (mint work shops) used during his short reign. Of the seven Officina known for Decius I'm missing only two, # 2 and 7. Luck befell me recently with the coin pictured below, won at CNG Auction 453. The coin is from Officina 1, in the group of first issues in the year AD 249, using one dot under the bust. All examples using the one dot mark are scarce or rare, but examples from the first issue are extremely rare. The coin pictured below was once in the collection of Richard McAlee, and sold to Michel Prieur after he wrote his iconic book THE SYRO-PHOENICIAN TETRADRACHMS AND THEIR FRACTIONS, from 57 BC to AD 253. Prieur had one example pictured in his book that I scanned and pictured below, #503. A large chunk of this coin is missing as the photo illustrates. Richard McAlee illustrates another example in his book, The Coins of Roman Antioch, #1105(a), using the same obverse die as my example with a totally different reverse. This coin is also listed as extremely rare.

Prieur 503, obv..JPG Prieur 503, rev..JPG
    IMG_9327 (2).JPG

eparch, TIF, 7Calbrey and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Interesting background information and great coin! Thanks.

I'm assuming the billon tets were not minted by Valerian or Gallienus. Is this correct?

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice find, congrats.

[​IMG]
    Trajan Decius (249 - 251 A.D.)
    Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: AYT K Γ ME KY TPAIANOC ΔEKIOC CEB, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right; Z below.
    R: ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC / S C. Eagle standing left on palm branch, wreath in beak.
    Antioch Mint
    26mm
    11.5g
    Prieur 548

5. Al Kowsky

That's correct ;). The issues of Trebonianus Gallus & his son were the last to strike Tets at the Antioch Mint. For a long time it was thought that the usurper Uranius Antoninus struck Tets at Antioch, however, it was later determined his coin were made at Emesa, Syria. Valerian did strike gold aurei and double denarius coins at Antioch for a short time.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  6. Al Kowsky

Mat, That's a nice example from Officina 7 ;).

7. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Great coins everyone!

A recent thread on Trebonianus Gallus tetradrachms had me looking for mine, only to realize it was a Trajan Decius!

My photos aren't great... it's a dark coin and hard to photograph. It has a black patina that makes the surfaces look a bit rough but a nice portrait. This coin is from officina 7 as well.

TrajanDeciusPrieur588.jpg
    Prieur 588

8. Al Kowsky

O.J., That is rather amusing :hilarious:. The late issues of Trajan Decius do resemble the coins of Trebonianus Gallus. Despite the rough surface on your coin it's well struck & centered with pleasing uniform black toning. The black color on your coin is no surprise considering the silver content on these Tets is only 15%.

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Exceptionnal addition @Al Kowsky

Here's my 4th officina example

[​IMG]
    Trajan Decius, Tetradrachm - Antioch mint, 4th officina
    AVG KG TTEKY DEKIOY TPAIANOC CEB, Laureate and draped bust of Trajan Decius right. Four dots under bust
    DHMAPXEX OYCIAC, Eagle standing left, holding wreath in beak, SC at exergue
    13,56 gr
    Ref : RC #2723, Prieur # 528_012

Q

10. Al Kowsky

Q, That coin is a real stunner :jawdrop:! Great strike from fresh dies & lovely toning / patina. The coin pictured below, I scored not long ago, is also from Officina 4. My coin is a later issue when the celators switched the laurel wreath to a radiate crown. It's amazing how many Tet varieties there are of this emperor considering how short his reign was.

IMG_9274.JPG IMG_9278.JPG

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

These dots below the bust to indicate officina were also used on Decius' imperial issues, but only at the end of his reign. This is the only Antiochene coin in my collection from the reign of Trajan Decius that depicts dots below the bust:

[​IMG]
    Herennia Etruscilla, AD 249-253.
    Roman AR Antoninianus, 4.18 g, 23.2 mm, 12 h.
    Antioch, AD 250-251.
    Obv: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent, hair with horizontal waves and with a long plait carried up the back of the head; •• below bust.
    Rev: VBERITAS AVG, Uberitas standing left, holding marsupium (?) and cornucopiae.
    Refs: RIC 68b; RCV 9499.

12. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

An interesting quest and impressive coin @Al Kowsky. I only have one Antioch Tetradrachm, and it happens to be Trajan Decius from Officina 5.
    Trajan Decius Antioch Tet.jpg
    SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch, Trajan Decius, 249-251 AD, Billon Tetradrachm
    Obv: AVT K G M KV DEKOIC TPAIANOC CEB, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right; ••••• below
    Rev: DHMARC EXOVCIAC, S C in exergue, eagle standing right on palm frond, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak
    Ref: Prieur 529 Correction: Prieur 599; McAlee 1134e
    Size: 26.5mm, 10.85g

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  13. Al Kowsky

Sulla80, It looks like your Tet is misattributed :eek:. Your coin should be Prieur 599 or McAlee 1134 (e). Prieur 529 shows Trajan Decius wearing a laurel wreath, not a radiate crown. I've got an example of Prieur 531, see photos below, & the obverse of Prieur 529 should look like that ;).

Prieur 531, obv..jpg Prieur 531, rev,.jpg

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  14. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Thanks, much appreciated!

Draft saved Draft deleted