Trajan Decius Oddity - Milan Mint Obverse Muled with Herenius Etruscus/Hostilian Reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, May 4, 2018.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I recently picked up an odd Trajan Decius antoninianus cheap on eBay that I was having a great deal of trouble attributing. It features PIETAS AVGG with Mercury on the reverse, not a type normally issued for Trajan Decius.

Stumped, I contacted Richard at the wonderful Four Bad Years website (one of my favorites: http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/). Richard told me this was a mule, a Trajan Decius Milan mint obverse (IMP CAE TRA DEC AVG legend) muled with a Herennius Etruscus or Hostillian reverse (they both used the PIETAS AVGG with Mercury type).

As you can see from the Four Bad Years website, there are a lot of oddities like this during this "four bad years" time period, especially at the branch mints. As far as I can tell this is unlisted. It might be a counterfeit, although I am pretty sure it is ancient. The metal and weight are pretty good for this era.

Any others out there like this? Or other 3rd century mules or weirdos?

Trajan Decius - Ant PIETAS AVGG rev Apr 2018 (1).JPG

Trajan Decius - Ant PIETAS AVGG rev Apr 2018 (10).JPG

Trajan Decius Antoninianus
    (250-251 A.D.)
    Milan mint

IMP CAE TRA DECIVS AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right draped / PIETAS AVGG Mercury standing left, holding purse & caduceus.
    Unlisted mule; Her. Etruscus or Hostilian rev. with Decius obv.
    (3.63 grams / 21 mm)

Ajax, RAGNAROK, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I think the mint worker used the wrong die, must have been having a bad day. ;)

Marsyas Mike and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The obverse style does not strike me as quite right for that series so I would consider the coin unofficial. Many unofficial ancients combine inappropriate dies. Last I heard, they found a die link suggesting the RIC 'Milan' mint was just a later Rome mint series. I can not recall who told me that and I can not say whether the existence of such a list is conclusive considering the possibility of the link involving an unofficial coin.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is kind of fishy - the obverse style is very crude, cruder than the examples on Four Bad Years site. The eye in particular has a kind of Egyptian-side-view look that I see on Antioch and other eastern mints. I'll probably never know for sure...

Draft saved Draft deleted