Trajan Decius 'Dacia' upgrade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Jul 28, 2016.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

When I picked this up I thought the portrait was outstanding and was sure that it would be an across-the-board upgrade to my existing Trajan Decius 'Dacia' antoninianus. I knew that the reverse, being typically worn, made this less than a great coin, but now that I'm looking at it together with my original example, I'm realising that I wish I had the reverse of the first with the obverse and condition of the second. This situation sound familiar to any of you? I guess that's why sometimes we keep the original as well as the upgrade... while we wait for the next one to come along :shame:.

upload_2016-7-28_21-54-41.png
    TRAJAN DECIUS
    AR Antoninianus. 4.91g, 21.4mm. Rome mint, AD 249-250. RIC 12b; Cohen 16. O: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. O: DACIA, Dacia standing left holding staff topped with a wolf's head (Draco).

The first example for comparison...
    upload_2016-7-28_21-57-54.png
    As always, please feel free to post any related coins... examples of semi-upgrades, your Trajan Decius 'Dacia' types or any Trajan Decius for that matter.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

5. zumbly

There's an idea! I'll be sure to note this URL on my tag for the future cataloger of Frankencoin's reference. I can imagine the description already... "Odd case of a collector gluing two coins together. For a bit of a laugh, click this link to see why the idiot did it."

TIF, Alegandron and Pishpash like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is an unusual Decius portrait but he does have several varieties ranging from boring to full of personality. The beard seems like he was working on growing out a Macrinus look but decided against it. For a short reign, he offers quite a bit of interest to my way of viewing the matter.
    rx1230b00112lg.jpg rx1260bb1802.jpg rx1300b01670lg.jpg

Of course part of his coinage appeal is his inclusion of both a semis and double sestertius making his bronzes more interesting than some from the period. Neither of mine are high grade but both exist for those who want them.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=273225
    Double sestertius
    rx1315fd3284.jpg

I have seen many more decent double sestertii than semises.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=22346
    semis
    rx1350bb1499.jpg

TIF, Sallent, Mikey Zee and 8 others like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great portrait on it. I also like the toning.

I have gone through several of him too but settled with this due to the reverse.

[​IMG]
    Trajan Decius (249 - 251 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG; radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right.
    R: PANNONIAE; the two Pannoniae, veiled, standing right and left facing one another, clasping right hands in front of standard between them.
    Rome Mint, 251 A.D.
    22mm
    3.2g
    RIC IV Rome 26

Sallent, Mikey Zee, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VERY nice TD, @zumbly ! I only have ONE of Trajan Decius, but it is the same Dacia type as yours!
    RI Trajan Decius 249-251 CE AR Ant Dacia Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Trajan Decius 249-251 CE AR Ant Dacia

TIF, Sallent, Mikey Zee and 5 others like this.
  9. zumbly

Thanks for the comments, guys. Still envious of Doug's double sestertius and semis. A quick check shows that there are just three Decius double sestertii listed on Vcoins at the moment. Of the three, the dog (and a bit of a runt at 31g) is 'only' $560. The next step up pricewise is a nice one, and a full 42g, but $3400. I think it'll be some time before I get one of them...

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

@zumbly If you want the reverse of that coin to look better, just send it my way. A little carving knife can do wonders. :D

Its a good looking coin, the coin still looks good. The obverse makes up for the reverse, and its not that bad looking anyway.

zumbly likes this.
  11. zumbly

Hah... thanks, but I don't condone tooling. I'm going with the "glue" option (see above).

Pishpash likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Decius' doubles and, for that matter, all his bronzes vary a lot in weight. Triton VIII had one over 54g while the smallest are little over half that. There are enough coins I consider certainly genuine to just say weight standards were not a priority. Perhaps the largest were made as presentation pieces???

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Keep 'em both!
    Trajan Decius 5.jpg

TIF, zumbly, Sallent and 4 others like this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Keep both, yes, I agree !
    Still don't have a double sestertius, but a sestertius and a semis. Doug is right (he often is...) : semis are tough to find

[​IMG]
    Trajan Decius, Antoninianus Rome mint, AD 250-251
    IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    DACIA, Dacia standing left holding a standard surmounted by an ass's head
    3.52 gr - 20/23 mm
    Ref : RCV # 9368, RSC # 16, RIC IV-3 # 12b
    Ex Auctiones.ch

[​IMG]
    Trajan Decius, Sestertius Rome mint, AD 251
    IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right
    DACIA, Dacia standing left, holding roman standard, S|C in field
    20,98 gr
    Cohen # 28, RCV # 9400

[​IMG]
    Trajan Decius, Semis Rome mint, AD 249-250
    IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG Laureate and draped bust right
    Mars standing left, holding spear and shield. S|C in field
    19 mm, 4,71 gr
    Ref : RIC # 128, Cohen # 102

Q

Marsyas Mike, TIF, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Congrats, Z-Bro => great lookin' Trajan Decius upgrade

Ummm, I do happen to have a fairly sweet example of this other Trajan fella ...

Trajan Decius AR Tetradrachm
    trajan decius a.jpg trajan decius b.jpg

... this baby is like a mini silver hockey puck (it's a fat lil' bugger)

TIF, zumbly, Sallent and 5 others like this.
  16. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

LOVE that portrait @zumbly!!!---Definitely a bit unique.

Wonderful posts all... Trajan decius sestertius, Pax reverse.jpg Trajan decius ant wide flan obverse.JPG Trajan decius ant wide flan reverse.JPG Volusion Ant, Salus.JPG Volusian Ant, Salus reverse.JPG

I have a sestertius and a antonianus that I primarily purchased due to the portraits and not for the reverses which is usually the case.

And a recent purchase of a Ant of Volusion (the last example) which was totally due to the realistic depiction of this ruler, rather than the more common 'cartoonish' styles.

Draft saved Draft deleted