Trajan coin authentic or cast?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arashpour, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I REALLY do not like the way this thread went. It.feels.dirty.

I see it as a means to DISCREDIT the coin by mass concensus, so that you could show CNG they were wrong. As was stated, you tried this on Forum, and they, too, said it looks genuine. Now you fall back on filed edges as the discrediting factor. And even that is on wobbly legs. All over $170 purchase.

You say you still want to be in their auctions... Sour grapes. If I were the auction house and saw both this thread and Forum’s, I would fire you as a Customer.

Trust is sacred. Trust broken in my books.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

This is unfortunately par for the course for Arash and you haven't even seen the worst of it yet. He and another poster by the name of Matt caused quite a bit of controversy on the Coin Forgery Discussion List by condemning many perfectly genuine coins from good dealers for completely invalid reasons(and usually no reason at all) and even going as far as to call Vcoins a "bunch of crooks". He also reportedly told one dealer that he knew a coin was fake because he took it to a psychic who was unable to communicate with any of its ancient owners. They were both recently banned from posting new messages on the CFDL so I guess he's just moved his antics to CoinTalk. It's all at that link if you want to see the previous exchanges.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow @red_spork I suspected this manipulator was up to no good and your link proves it.

Andres2 and Alegandron like this.
  5. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

Ok since consensus was coin is genuine I accept it. but quality is another issue guys. I still have the right to return a mis-described coin.

6. arashpour

@Alegandron I was not trying to prove it is fake I was just tried to understand if it is authentic. Filed edge is a big red flag for me. Also I had 2 questions that needed explanation which I received. So I agree with consensus so I am not pushing it is fake anymore but the price I paid for a coin with edge filing is not justified if they described it as such. If you get a coin which was fourree for example and was not described as fourree , wouldn't you wanted to return it ? I am sure anyone would. Put yourself in my shoes please.

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

We are still waiting for a good picture of the filed edge, if you cant provide it, ask a friend, familymember, or a neighbour who can take a decent picture.
    thanks.

8. arashpour

@Andres2 I sent the coin to CNG lets see what they say if I get hold of it again I will try get a better image of the edge.

Andres2 likes this.
  9. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

coin looks good to me/ i have compare with another type vv.jpg

10. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

pYw98iDxB9k6v4Q3sz7JQ2RnSt3At5s.jpg
    it is a rare portret to yours

11. arashpour

@ro1974 Thanks for finding the match. But looking at these 2 I see the bust is not the same as coin you sent. also the relative position of letters are different. what do you think?

12. TIB93

TIB93 New Member

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me if this is a genuine roman coin?

I purchased from http://npcollectables.org.uk

Listing title:
    Trajan 102 A.D
    Rome mint
    Silver Denarius
    Rev. Mars advancing carrying spear and trophy
    19.0 mm Diameter
    RIC 80, S.3146

Attached Files:

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. Since you are posting to an existing thread, the responses might take some time. You will get better responses if you start your own thread. I'm not good enough to advise you, but if you don't get any answers, try starting a new thread. Cast coins often have casting "dimples" and "pearls" and the edge often shows a casting seam. Generally if the diameter and weight match with known examples, you're good. Hope it is real.

robinjojo likes this.
  14. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Regarding the second inquiry posted today, yes, please start a new thread.

Tacking it onto this old one won't be very effective.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted