Train Vignettes from Obsoletes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jhinton, Nov 17, 2010.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have others, but there is too much cleavage showing on the feminine of the species and I cannot post such things here or June Cleaver will haunt my barm.

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petronius

petronius Duke

100 rubles, from the same series (I have 50 rubles too)

caucaso3.jpg

caucaso4.jpg

Issued in 1918, September 1, by Vladikavkaz Railroad Company, in North Caucasus, in the region known as Ossetia, which has Vladikavkaz as capital.
    They seem halfway between a bond and a banknote, because they pay a 5,4% interest but, on the other hand, they are listed in the first volume of World Paper Money (North Caucasus S593 and S594), that call them interest-bearing loan notes, so I think that they were used also as current money.

petronius :smile

4. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I don't have many foreign notes, but this one from the Bank of Communications is one of my favorites. The colors really pop and it has both a locomotive and a ship. ABNC did a great job on this banknote series.

Attached Files:

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Here is an ABNC transfer die I own. :)

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  6. gsalexan

We've got to get that one transferred onto a plate, Darryl! I remember when you did a test printing from it with, um, marginal results. ;) A few months back I did correspond with Mike Bean, a former BEP plate printer, to see if he knew anyone who could do a transfer. He does, but he thought it would probably cost around $200-300 to create a printable plate. I guess that's reasonable, but more than I was willing to spend.

Have you been able to pick up a stock or bond that features this vignette?

Greg

7. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I agree, I have been holding off talking with Mike but think that this summer I will pull the trigger and do it. I may do this versus going to the show in Chicago this year. I really enjoy the show but want to take the opportunity to get a plate done before that option no longer exists.

8. gsalexan

Let me know how it goes -- I'm still considering it. Ideally, you could actually watch the transfer process and take pictures! I'd love to see those. :)

9. gsalexan

Boy, I'm really dredging up some old threads! But I always liked this one and I recently found something that deserves to be posted here. Maybe it will inspire other members to add some new items.

This isn't an obsolete note, it's a promissory note, but it was issued in the same time period -- 1851. What I really liked was the small engraving of a very early train. The passenger car looks distinctly like a stagecoach, doesn't it?

1851 Boston.jpg 1851 Boston cu train.jpg

The Baltimore & Ohio was the first railroad to issue engraved stock certificates in 1835. The central vignette looks very much like the train above, from a different angle.

B&O 1846.jpg B&O 1846 cu.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    SteveInTampa likes this.
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Just learned about these, now I have some Iron horse 1991 1.jpg Iron horse 1991 2.jpg img566.jpg

gronnh20 and panzerman like this.
  11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is one of mine from Westmorland Bank/ New Brunswick 041c2f03f4717abd3948196025d3ad9f.jpg

gronnh20 likes this.
  12. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

I love the "Horshoe Curve" ABN! Nice post...

panzerman likes this.
  13. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

14. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

Nice! Thanks

15. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull notes!

17. gsalexan

Really like the Sanford Bank obsolete! Thanks for posting, Les.

Draft saved Draft deleted