Train Track Cent?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jersey magic man, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

All I can see is the date. Looks like someone put this cent on a RR track and everything except the date took a direct rollover.

Anyone else have any RR track coins (or trolley track coins for us ancient folk) that are readable?

Dscn0287.jpg Dscn0288.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Since its actually got a date-the only thing that survived lol i would say yes because of the shape and its from the 60's.

Penny Luster and Inspector43 like this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

What a unique find. I have a small box of "RR Coins" that a friend gave me, but I would have to go through all of them to see if there are any with a just the date undamaged. Definitely a neat conversation piece.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Here is one that I put on the track back in the 50's. No date though. Train Penny Rev.jpg Train Penny.jpg

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

First coin I ever found with a metal detector. 3.1 grams. Located within 50 ft.
    of am old discontinued spur.
    MET DET (1).jpg MET DET (2).jpg

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Draped Bust, no date. Obverse is obliterated.
    DB.jpg DB1.jpg

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Here’s mine. What’s it worth? Lol...

7ED7528B-5FC8-4DF6-B716-1B769C5CEAD4.jpeg

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

There's an Amtrak Pacific Surfliner track through Montecito that I place a lincoln on every time I walk across the tracks to get to Butterfly Beach. I've yet to find it after the train passes. What's the trick to finding the coins after they've been flattened?

I do remember it was never a problem when we did it as kids growing up in New Orleans. What's changed? lol

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I’ve often thought of that myself. I’ve no present recollection of how I found mine but I did. We’d do this quite a lot as kids. You just have to keep your eye on it then scour through that general area after the train passes. I think we’d find ours, or at least most of them.

usmc 6123 likes this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

Here's mine,found it in a roll of quarters before but I'm sure its a nickel. 20210407_211140.jpg 20210407_211147.jpg

eddiespin likes this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, that’s one. Take it from an expert, lol. Cool find rolled, though...

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  15. potty dollar 1878

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why? they would have just been worth face value, just like todays base metal coins.

17. potty dollar 1878

If you hoarded them and now have them today and your alive its worth it.

18. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I've got a really nice cent somewhere I think, I'll look around for it on the weekend. I think everything is readable if I remember correctly. put it on the tracks and found it right after myself.

the train did not derail....

19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I put a dime on top of a penny, then put them on the track. Waited for the train to go by but I never found them. they must have stuck to the wheel, I guess. I never did it again.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But who want to hoard all their money and then wait nearly 60 years to get any use out of it?

21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

That's what the adults said would happen. Probably just trying to keep us kids from getting close to trains. Obviously the chances of a derail didn't deter us.

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted