Trade dollars CC chopmarked

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kMANN, Feb 20, 2017.

1. kMANN

kMANN Member

I'm from Norway, and all this coins have been bought on eBAY.
    Some of them where slabbed, but I destroied the slabs since we here i Norway usually buy and sell the coins raw.
    No I know that in the US marked things are opposite. But done is done.
    I hope the coins are genuine ??

Diameter / weights millimeters/gram
    1973-38.00/27.11
    1974-38.02/27.18
    1975-38.06/26.96
    1976-38.04/26.91
    1977-38.05/27.03

I have a complete collection of chopmarked Trade dollars except 1878 CC
    Anyone who have an openion of the authenticity and value for the CC's ??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT! I travel to Norway every year at least once, up to four times a year. I am looking forward to hearing from the knowledgeable members on CT about your trade dollars.
    Steve

4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

One feature that often stands out on fakes is the SHAPE of the numerals in the date, and since you have many examples for comparison, that will get you started. Also, the clarity of the feathers on the eagle.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Who had slabbed them?

For future reference though at least for Trade Dollars I wouldn't break those out of slabs. Most people won't touch those raw

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Out of curiosity, is there a (TPG) coin grading service in Norway, or anywhere in Scandinavia?

7. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I've been in numerous local coin shops in Norway and have never seen a certification/grading service. Probably because the country's population is only 5.25 million.
    Steve

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

9. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

You should do a magnet test on them. May be just the lighting, but they do look somewhat suspect to me.

10. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

Welcome Kmann you will learn a lot here. I don't know about the authenticity of your coins but some look a little "cleaned" which is a no no in the US.
    But you DO have some nice CC'S there, it makes me want to purchase another one as I only have 2 right now.
    Good Luck !

11. kMANN

kMANN Member

I don't remember who slabbed them because I throw them avay. And it's many years ago. Now I have learned. In Norway we don't use slabs.

12. kMANN

kMANN Member

In Norway the coin dealers grade the coins themselves.
    As far as I know, there is no gradingcompany in Scandinavia.

13. kMANN

kMANN Member

They are not magnetic.

14. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

OK, that's a good first step. I got burned by a fake when I first started collecting, so hoping your coins are the real deal.

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Note to all posting on this thread. Whenever you encounter a T$ with sharp detail as these, they are never magnetic. The only magnetic fakes are very crude to any one who knows just a little about what a genuine coin should look like. They also are out of tolerance - diameter, thickness, and especially weight. There surface is granular and the details crude. None of the posted coins remotely resemble a magnetic fake T$.

As to the OP's coins, the deceptive struck T$ are this well made. More magnified photos are needed to give a worthwhile opinion.

coloradobryan likes this.
  16. kMANN

kMANN Member

New photo With Canon EOS 600 and Canon efs 60 macro lens. Full recolutions.

Attached Files:

17. kMANN

kMANN Member

Comparing 4 Trade both sides.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted