Trade Dollar Found in a Storage Unit

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by man2004, Aug 18, 2018.

1. man2004

man2004 Active Member

The coin in the attached photos was found in a storage unit. It looks like a replica to me!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Not genuine.

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Sure looks fake.

5. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I’ll add three clues.
    1. The coin is light in hand.
    2. The rim is too wide.
    3. Wrong alignment - it lacks the “coin turn” - demonstrated in the last two photos.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If the weight is wrong, that nails it. If it's correct, there were several die pairs used on these. If it's a fake, it's a nice one.

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

That funky rim screams "fake!".

wcoins likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Don't think I have ever seen that look on a real one.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The rim comparison is a giveaway.
    trade-silver-dollar.jpg

10. Ozzman

Ozzman Active Member

These are brass and plated with a silver looking plating. Came from china. They are infesting our coin world with fake coins badly. I can see the brass on the surface from wear, unless your lighting is bad. Another sign is the dark graphite areas or rings around the surface of the coin to the outside. The Chinese rub these down with some kind of black material to make them look old. The weights are usually the dead giveaway when it comes to fakes. Although I have a few fake peace dollars that are in weight spec, they are fake. The better you train on identifying fakes and replicas, the smarter you will be and it may save you a lot of money sometime. Sorry...this screams replica.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted