Trade dollar 1875-S authenticity?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by larssten, Jan 19, 2017.

1. larssten

larssten Well-Known Member

How sure, just by looking at these photos, that this coin is authentic and not a fake?

Knowing that trade dollars are perhaps the most commonly known fake coin, I'm hesitant getting this one raw.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. larssten

Johndoe2000$ and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. smarch

smarch Active Member

I don't like the letters in "LIBERTY".

larssten and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Look at "STATES"
    at an angle

larssten and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Up until the 1980s or so coins with chop marks traded at considerably less - so they were not likely to be counterfeited. With collectors in China showing interests in the chop marked coins that all changed, and now chopped coins can trade for considerably more than the original coins. So now the fakers take a fake coin and apply fake chop marks on it and age it so it appears original.

I can remember as a teenager buying up chopped Mexican 8 reales coins for $4-5 each when silver was low because there was no interest in "damaged" coins. Now they are fairly collectable.

Johndoe2000$ and larssten like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It seems as if the date in your coin is much closer to In God We Trust,
    and further away from the denticles, than in this certified 1875-S. And I agree with Treashunt, States is very sloppy on your coin.

larssten likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Sorry it posted before I was ready and hard to add a photo in edit.
    03674151-copy.jpg

9. larssten

Thanks for all inputs so far. The coin is not mine, but out for auction Jan 24st with current bid of $120.

If there is a overwhelming chance or most likely a fake, I will not bid on this one.

I'll wait till I get some more comments to decide [emoji4]

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Chop marks can easily hide mistakes made by counterfeiters. That is why I never bought any coin with them. There is no reference guide for them either. If they now sell for more, your taking a bigger chance than before. This is the one coin I would never by unslabbed. Even the slab can be counterfeit but at least your chances of that are better than raw. Are there return privileges? Is it an eBay item with their protection guarantee?

Santinidollar and larssten like this.
  11. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

the coin looks perfectly fine to me just looking at the photos.

I would buy it in an instant.

Perhaps that would change with it in-hand but I call it real.

Blissskr, USS656, Bob Evancho and 3 others like this.
  12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Coin looks authentic to me ...I,m no expert, but this one appears genuine...like a well circulated coin should look. Can,t see any obvious red flags in stars, date, rim, letters, etc.

Bob Evancho and larssten like this.
  13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I concur that the coin is genuine, but also disfigured in undesirable areas. I don't think the merchants much cared about preserving the design.

14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It looks genuine to me, but with all of the mutilations, it is a really ugly coin. Chop marks are one thing--this one was beaten to death. I wouldn't even think of buying it.

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The coin is genuine. I would buy this coin far above its current price. :bookworm:

PS It is never a good idea to post a coin that is in an "open" auction. Some greedy collector :greedy: might try to find it and outbid you. If you decide to drop out of the bidding, you may tell us where we can find it. o_O:D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    mynamespat, Bob Evancho and larssten like this.
  16. larssten

Thanks for the inputs. Yeah perhaps a bit naive...hehe...hopping you wont find it...hehe [emoji6]

17. larssten

Beautiful Coin [emoji4]

18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yep. Just curious, what do you think that signifies?

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

+1

20. larssten

Thank you all for the inputs. I might give it a try on that coin even though it's not the most pleasing...

Here is another one, a beautiful 1875-S for sale at Tradera.se but think it expires soon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Can you show a pic. of the full coin? Something looks off with the rim and stars on obv.

Draft saved Draft deleted