Trade $ 1878 CC, counterfeit or genuine

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kMANN, Feb 9, 2016.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Thanks to kMANN's excellent camera work, you can see that the letters look sort of puffy, not squared off and flat on top. On the MM photo above you can also see some tiny metal bumps which the harsh "cleaning" was meant to remove.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

Insider and rzage like this.
  4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

5. kMANN

kMANN Member

Thank's to all who has answered mee. I have learned a lot.
    My biggest concern when I recieved the coin was the weight. 27.1 gram is for an unsirculated coin, and this is worn.
    Next concern, the letters in the CC mintmark and 1878.
    Her in Norway my coin is stated both as counterfeit and genuine, from coin dealers.
    Now I have learned it's a counterfeit.
    Again, thanks for your help.
    I use Canon 600 EOS whith 60 m.m Canon macro lens. Stand (bought in US), and remoute control.
    Photo shows kMANN in 1947

Attached Files:

6. ksparrow

Nice photo, kMANN! Happy to meet you.

7. ksparrow

I found what I think are all 4 revs. in the Heritage Archives. hope this load properly.Actually, the first one is a Fake in an NGC details slab. This is the same fake cited in the PCGS forum thread. I did not realize it as I was cruising through the Heritage Archives looking just at the mintmarks. My bad. The other 3 are legit, though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    rzage and Insider like this.
  8. ksparrow

the first example seems to have a MM closest to the OP's coin but I was not able to copy a larger image. It's Heritage lot # 3890 sold April/May 2011 if you want to enlarge it.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I for one greatly appreciate the effort, sir; thank you! However, the first coin shown is also the one that has been confirmed counterfeit. I'll try to find the link..

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

11. BooksB4Coins

12. ksparrow

You are exactly right! I just realized that when I went back to the PCGS thread. Boy am I embarrassed! I need to delete that image from my post.

13. ksparrow

I am unable to delete the image so added some verbiage to make it clear that it's a fake. That's what I get for staring at mintmarks for an hour. So I still haven' t found the elusive 4th mintmark.
    So this is a sister of kMANN's example. And it was good enough to fool NGC. The rim damage is one way forgers lure the eye away from looking at other details.

14. ksparrow

15. BooksB4Coins

Honest mistake... had another fellow and I not so often discussed that thread and "coin" a few years back, I probably wouldn't have recognized it either.

I must say that I'm a bit embarrassed too.... the link had already been posted this thread just a few posts above mine; so much for the obvious. ;)

16. BooksB4Coins

You can request a mod delete it, but is, of course, your call... You've made the fact of the matter very clear to anyone willing to read as-is though, and is the most anyone could expect of you.

17. ksparrow

I think I'll just leave it up as a warning. It's funny how things cycle around. Anyway, maybe someone can find the elusive 4th MM (on a genuine coin, LOL)

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Thanks Doc , great work . For some reason I can't copy the pics from CT that you posted , but I'll just go to Heritage and download them . I keep waiting for that definitive book , but heck I could be 6 feet under by the time it comes out so I better start my own notes on the Trades .

19. ksparrow

I downloaded the pi'cs to my pc, put them on photobucket then posted them here.
    Like you I look forward to Joe K's book but still haven't heard of a pub date.

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I've arrived late to the party. However, this has been an excellent thread, and a very interesting read.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Superb thread! Thanks to all!

Draft saved Draft deleted