Trade $ 1878 CC, counterfeit or genuine

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kMANN, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

There is no chance it's a cast fake and far better than any made in china I've seen. I'm 99% sure this one is genuine it's been cleaned to death. I just can't find a pic of the rpd and mm for the 5823. I don't have any of my books here as I'm out of town for at least a week

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Of course it is not a cast fake. Where did you come up with that? I cannot find the words "cast fake" anywhere in this thread.

The "new" Chinese fakes are better that the ones published several years ago in FUN Topics; yet, IMO even those old fakes look better than this coin does. BTW, this particular "CC" reverse IS FOUND ON STRUCK counterfeits.

I'm still undecided on this one. :shame: Perhaps a close-up of what you have called a repunched CC and 8 would make me come around to your side.

rzage likes this.
  4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I didn't think they had any reference books that have all the die marriages ? Unless that long overdue book has finally been released .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. Insider

@rzage ANYONE with access to Trade dollars who can examine them with a stereo scope and take notes/micrographs can record ALL the die marriages. It should take MUCH less time (and guarantee completion) if they worked at a TPGS or at one of the major auction houses where all the dates can be seen in a year. I know at least two folks who are working on this project.

If you do not have access to the coins, a great deal can be learned by printing images from the Internet.

6. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I believe it is a fake. The edge reeding is very messy and not just from being banged around. The letters and arrowheads aren't right and the dentils are bad.
    Struck fakes are often scrubbed with an abrasive to remove surface bumps and such. They can withstand scrutiny until you get a good close up look .

7. rzage

Yep that's a good way , but most of us simply don't have the time to find every marriage for every coin minted . Kudos to the ones that do . That's why I usually ask Books B4Coins , as he has an extensive self put together library and an almost photographic mind .

8. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

100% fake as it isn't any of the 4 known rev dies. Breens work is out of date and not really to be trusted on the series anyway. Beside the incorrect die it is crudely made and I would shocked if it isn't under 27.2 grams.

micbraun, mill rat41 and rzage like this.
  9. Insider

I'll need to get on his good side...:joyful:

Stevearino and rzage like this.
  10. rzage

After pulling out a couple of mine , I agree with you that it's most likely a fake . Though I don't think the edge reeding is that bad , most of the dentrils are quite bad looking . Also this date is supposed to be sharply stuck .

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

That one fooled me from the pics then. In hand may have been different I was thinking altered mm

ikes4ever and rzage like this.
  12. rzage

I was wondering if you have pics of the 4 reverses ? And if you could post them .

13. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

There has been an INSANE amount of US counterfeit coins in Norway recently.

14. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

There has been an INSANE amount of US counterfeit coins in Norway recently.

15. kMANN

kMANN Member

bak_1.jpg bak_2.jpg
    New poto of reverse, and clouse up of mm.

16. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

I believe it is a die-struck fake.
    One of many tell-tale sighs is the mushy lumpy mint mark, especially the second "C". The perimeter should be sharper and thinner.

micbraun, Insider and kMANN like this.
  17. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Interesting statement planman. I travel frequently to Norway, have bought and sold coins there. Where are you getting the information for your opinion? Thanks,
    Steve

18. Insider

Great info! Just curious, do you live there, did you read this someplace, or who gave you this information. I think other members would like answers also.

Sorry Stevearino, You had this covered. I need to learn to read to the bottom of threads before making comments :shame: it will save me some typing/time since my thoughts added NOTHING! :arghh::arghh::shame:

Travel to Norway...I'm soooooooo jealous ou la la.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Stevearino likes this.
  19. kMANN

kMANN Member

Close up 1878 from kMANN 1878.jpg

20. Insider

Thanks for the new photo. I think we have all decided that your coin is probably a struck counterfeit.

Nice camera work too.

kMANN likes this.
  21. rzage

Draft saved Draft deleted