Trade $ 1878 CC, counterfeit or genuine

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kMANN, Feb 9, 2016.

1. kMANN

kMANN Member

I bought this coin many years ago, and Wonder if it's genuine.
    Weight: 27.20 gram
    Diameter: 37.95 m.m
    Thickness: 2.8 m.m

Can anybody help mee ?
    Thank's from Norway trade_12.jpg trade_10.jpg trade_11.jpg

anderspud likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm not that good at Trade Dollars. It looks real to me but I'd also add that it has been harshly cleaned.

kMANN and spirityoda like this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Here's an image from PCGS and the mint mark on the OP coin isn't even close .

Could just be a different die then the OP coin .

86.jpg

kMANN likes this.
  5. kMANN

kMANN Member

Tank you for your answer

6. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Maine Bill will hopefully see this post and respond. My first impression is also that it looks real, but see many hairlines from cleaning. kMANN, I have PMed you (sent a personal message).
    Steve

kMANN likes this.
  7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Looks good at 1st glance , but I haven't check the die marriages . I have to go out will check later . It's a correct Type II/II for the date now if the MM checks out it should be fine .

micbraun likes this.
  8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The more important question is: Why do people insist on buying raw trade dollars, or even considering them, if they don't know the series? They have an astronomical counterfeit rate, and if not counterfeit, are almost always cleaned. They are not cheap coins, so why take the risk???????

Dimedude2 and kMANN like this.
  9. kMANN

kMANN Member

In Europa almost all coins are sold unslapped. No I have learned that is othervice in the US

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Need close-up of the 420 Grains area and rim over "States". I have never seen those raised marks on a genuine piece.

For now, IMO C/F harshly cleaned!

PS I do know the series. We do not rely on the placement of the mint mark as it varies. ;)

ToughCOINS likes this.
  11. kMANN

kMANN Member

Here are what you are asking for. Thank's for helping mee kMANN 420 grains.jpg 420 grains.jpg 420 grains.jpg 420 grains.jpg

Attached Files:

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

But it will be the same as one of the MMs of one of the dies used . We just have to check them all . And with only 97,000 minted there couldn't have been too many die marriages . This is also one of the most faked Trades because of the rarity of it .

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  13. Insider

Thanks the marks I saw under the 420 and over the "G" are gone. That's why everyone should learn to tip and rotate the coin in the light during an exam. Still don't know about those over states.

Now, look at the thickness of the "N" for example. Compare that to the genuine coin. While heavy buffing will spread out the width of the "N" for example, this appears to be too much. I'm still C/F and would like to see the area above "States." One photo upside down and one sideways of that area may provide the "nail" in the coffin.

14. Insider

Very true!. I could tell you the die marriages but then I'll need to ... ;) "They" may :dead: me too for :yack::yack:.

15. kMANN

kMANN Member

Somthing like this ??

Attached Files:

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think what we have here is Breen 5823 repunched 8 and cc. The rarest of the 3 known mintmark positions. It's been cleaned to death but I think there's a very good chance it's real. Im just not 100% on the mintmark Im out of town and don't have any of my references and books here. @crypto79 any help?

17. Insider

Yes, this is a lamination. That is a + on the side of genuine. So one plus and one minus. With just photo's and harsh cleaning, I am going to give up on this one :shame:

18. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

I am not an expert but that coin looks good to me...besides one of the harshest cleanings I have seen in a while.

19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's not 5824 (post 3?), which to the best of my knowledge would leave two. The remaining two, including the one you mentioned, have large mintmarks of the same size and distance apart, yet the OP "coin" displays smaller marks more widely spaced, very reminiscent of what was used in 76. The tail feathers also appear not to be filled, which alone, if true, should be a killer. Also, from my best recollections, I've concerns regarding the date position as well, and this is aside from general concerns regarding overall appearance.

micbraun and rzage like this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

My biggest concern is an altered mm from a 78-s

21. Insider

IMO, NOT A CHANCE. Coin is either a harshly cleaned genuine or C/F 78-CC. Guess that's not saying much. I'm still :shame:

Draft saved Draft deleted