tracking bills (fun)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by moneyfan, Apr 10, 2008.

1. moneyfan

moneyfan collector of coins/bills

i have this ten dollar bill and it can be tracked by going to www.wheresgeorge.com, it has travled 14 miles in 5 years. have u found any bills that can be tracked??
    i will have to find out if u can do this with any bill.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

unfortunately i dont get 5 dollar bills

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i meant 5 year old bills

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

www.wheresgeorge.com 'George' refers to George Washington who is depicted on the $1 bill. Most participants track $1 bills. (Where's George?) Some track $5 and $10 bills. I suppose some track larger bills.

At present I have a $1 bill and a $5 bill that I need to log. (I received them in change. I don't stamp bills myself.)

Hope this helps.

6. moneyfan

i just entered lots of bills, 1, 5, 10. i will start to put in more bills and see where they go. this is so fun.

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

You do know that you need to stamp them with www.wheresgeorge.com, don't you? Otherwise how will anyone know to enter the bill at www.wheresgeorge.com?

Someone stamped the $1 bill I have with a red-ink rubber stamp that says "Track where I've been. See where I go. www.wheresgeorge.com"

Someone stamped the $5 bill I have with a blue-ink stamp that says www.WHERESGEORGE.com on the front and "HOW FAR DOES YOUR $$ GO?" on the reverse.

I have also seen bills marked with a circular stamp that goes around the seal.

You should go to the www.wheresgeorge.com site and read their instructions on how to participate.

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

This discussion made me finally log the two notes I have been holding for several months. (I was planning to log them in Colorado and spend them in some distant state but I have not been on a trip lately. I'm going to Boston & NYC next month so maybe I'll take them with me and spend them there.)

If you care to track them they are:

$1 deleted
    $5 deleted

9. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I have a $1 and $5 bill currently logged in, still waiting to see them be noticed and logged in again elsewhere. One I spent at a coin club meeting, I figured that would be a sure way to see it again online.

10. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

If any of you are going to stamp "bills" make sure it's not a good one.

I have notes in my collection that have been defaced with wheregeorge.

Like finding a nice wheatie and you turn it over and someone has engraved wheresabe on it. :(

11. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

Not to mention use a subtle stamp. Many don't realize that the 4-5 stamps covering 50% of the bill destine the bill for shredding when it next passes through the FRB. Not to mention, the stamps are more likely to grab a teller's attention and cause them to drop it in the mutilated pile.

12. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

I am a member of Where's George, as well of at least one other member here that I know about (who is extremely helpful in the entire scope of paper money, BTW). What actually made me start collecting currency was the Bill Collecting Forum on Where's George. Most people (emphasis on most) do not stamp things like short-run stars or 1963-66 USNs, unless they are in very bad shape (Bills earlier than 1963 can not be entered). There are some, however, that do not care, and will stamp a 1966 $100 Star note, if they had the chance. Here's my marking "code":

NOT MARKED:
    any short run star notes
    any old-style star notes
    Any FRN prior to 1969 (unless in really bad condition)

WILL NOT MARK (If I ever find any)
    Web Notes
    295 Errors
    Natick test notes

MARKED:
    any non-star old-style bill series 1988 and newer (unless CU condition)
    any old-style from 1969-1985 in less tan XF condition (I get a lot of these every week, and they will just not appreciate much in the next 40 years)
    any others

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for marking old-style $5s and up, but I just don't see the future value in a torn, worn 1995 $5 bill. If anyone wants to pay me moneyu over face to save them, then I will, but until then, they will just meet my stamp.

P.S. If anyone has any other suggestions for me to save (NOT generic old-style notes), please post it here.

P.P.S the webmaster would prefer if you did not show the full serial numbers of bills that are entered; it could lead to false hits. You can, however, post a link to the bill's page, and people can track it from thet page.

13. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

I have a suggestion. Since all grading is subjective... your grade for 'worn and torn' may not be the same as someone else. So for you to trash a note with the stamp, it is trashing a note someone else might have kept. so.. stop trashing notes.

While wheresgeorge might be considered cool site by some, and i dont mean to trash the site in any way, but trashing notes with stamps, stickers and other gunk out of fun... how is that helping the hobby? it is a bit selfish on the part of the stampee to take the note away from a perspective collector IMHO of course

14. clembo

Chill out man.

I didn't post what I did to start an argument. I'm merely pointing out that it happens.

Does EVERYONE that stamps a note have any clue as to what is considered collectible? Pretty much doubt that.
    I posted this because on CoinTalk people tend to be more informed and/or are willing to learn so they DON'T trash a good note.

I tracked a few in the past myself. Never stamped one. Also pulled some out as "colectibles" never to be heard from again.

That was my point.

clembo

BTW have at least one stamped 295 error.

15. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

I wasn't trying to sound confrontational, sorry if it came out that way. I was just trying to show everyone else the general attitude of most of the users. To answer your question: No, not everybody has an idea of what they are stamping, but there are several users who try to explain things like Web notes or short run stars to other users. Again, not trying to sound confrontational, just explaining how things work.

P.S. Tough luck on that 295 error. :desk:

16. clembo

I'm good with that man.

Yeah,

It's hard to explain a lot of things without pictures and a few good books. Common 295 by the way yet irritating.

Some may tell you that I do have a few of them;)

clembo

17. moneyfan

18. moneyfan

yes, please dont start any fights.

19. clembo

No fights going on here just observations.

Wheresgeorge is interesting. As I stated I have used it in the past.

Just KNOW what you might be defacing. Could be worth a few more bucks than you know.

20. moneyfan

i wonder if it really lowers the ABP of the bill. i do think that wheresgoerge is interesting.
    and im glad theres no fights being started in one of my threads.

21. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

of course it lowers the ABP!!! its just as bad as if somone drew on the note in sharpie marker. anything that defaces the note is goind to lower the ABP!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted