TPGs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by swick, Jun 10, 2007.

1. swick

swick New Member

I have been reading the threads concerning the Third Party Graders. Just like the grading of coins, the arguments are subjective.
    Do you think it would be possible for someone to "write" a computer program for the grading of coins? I know that it wouldn't be easy, but at least it could be subjective, I think. LOL
    I don't know much about computers, but do you believe that this could be done? A computer would scan the coin, then, according to the "program", give the coin a grade. Front and back, with a detailed, WRITTEN description on HOW the coin was given that particular grade. I was just wondering if this could be done??

swick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

one of the problems I see with this is that different coins are judged differently. A computer program would have to know that a particular type coin was weakly struck on a certian year ,for example, to be able to grade it properly. I'm sure there are other problems but that is what I see as a biggie!
    Ziggy

4. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Do you mean it would be objective?

Actually, if it could be done, I think it would be just as subjective as any human TPG, just consistently so using the standards of the programmer.

5. swick

swick New Member

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

swick:
    No chance.

7. jody526

jody526 New Member

A computer program, that would grade coins, would be great, except for one thing.
    Every time the TPGs changed their grading standards, in order to encourage resubmissins, the A.N.A. Grading Standards soon follow suit (as evidenced by the most recent edition of their book).

Every time the standards change, you would have to buy a new computer program, or "upgrade" (actually "downgrade"), the one you have.

I'll keep searching for a cheap way to get out of doing my homework, thank you.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A bigger problem with computer grading would be trying to teach a computer how to judge quality of luster and eye appeal. That's why computer grading failed years ago.

As for the ANA changing their grading standards, it might be worth noting that the biggest change they made was in 1986 when they made the standards a lot tougher than they were originally in 1977. They didn't loosen the standards - they tightened them. These changes affected only the MS grades.

And in 2005 when the 6th edition of the standards was published the numismatic press and most coin forums made a big deal out of the standards being loosened in the new edition. They made it sound like it was a whole new set of standards. However - if one were to go back and compare the 6th edition to the 2nd edition, or even the 1st, line by line grade by grade and coin by coin - what you find out is in the 6th edition the standards were indeed changed, loosened in fact. But they were only changed for 2 coins in 1 grade only. The changes made were to ease the criteria for an Indian Head cent and a Buffalo nickel to grade VF. All the rest remained exactly the same as they always had been.

9. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

If I'm not mistaken one company already tried to utilize a computer program to grade coins, and it is my understanding that it failed miserably.

10. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

I'm betting that eventually it will be computers doing the grading, but not for a while. A looooonnnggggg while.

11. swick

swick New Member

Thanks to EVERYONE!! I figured that someone tried to do this....a computer program for grading coins that is. Oh well......maybe in my next life......if I'm a good boy! Thanks again everyone!

swick

12. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

I remember it too.....I believe the program had major problems telling weak strikes from wear and handling toned coins (but I guess human graders have problems in these areas as well).

13. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think it isn't only possible. It's inevitable. With computing power doubling in a little more than a year, every year, someone will eventually do it. The problem of changing standards won't be solved by computers, but they will be able to grade to the standards programmed into them, including adjustments for years with weak strikes, etc. Even things like eye appeal, detection of cleaning, adjustments for toning, etc can probably be reduced to programmable data someday.

14. grizz

grizz numismatist

i agree with you. we have to realize that we are doing things now that years back was thought to be impossible. as far as computers being used for grading i believe it will happen, not in the near future but certainly in the future. the darn things are just too amazing a creation for it not to work.

grizz

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

My guess is that it will happen sooner than most here seem to think. They presently have systems that could reproduce the a virtually exact copy of the coin's shape including the wear, nicks et al close enough that I would bet no one here could tell the difference between the 2 shapes. They probably would not be the same material not look even similar, but the shape would be virtually identical. The problems are the luster, color, and eye appeal. My guess is that there are programs out there that will soon be capable of most of that. As to the relative strikes of the different mintages, that is exactly the type of data crunching that computers excel in.

Something to think about for the future; If a computer can completely analyze a coin (required for accurate grading), how long do you think it will be before they are capable of a nearly perfect replication of that coin?

Draft saved Draft deleted