TPGs & Unconventional Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Jan 15, 2021.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I actually had never seen that double wide slab before. I've seen the ticker ones they used for curved coins but had never seen it to that extent

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I like it because it's weird, I wonder what other strange sizes they have.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm glad they did that. It wasn't that many years ago when they all would say to bad on weird shaped stuff. I'm seen some really big ones for massive medals but I really like they seem to be getting creative to accommodate as much as possible.

MIGuy likes this.
  5. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Will post some here for you.
    burmese1.JPG alex.JPG alex1.JPG bacc.JPG bacc1.JPG

6. Beardigger

The last 4 pictures are of the same pieces of glass. The color is called alexandrite and it changes color in different lighting. Purple in incandescent and blue in florescent light.

7. Beardigger

8. Beardigger

9. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Wow! I never knew that. I've seen these art glass displays in numerous malls in Singapore. They place them on lit white plexiglas pedestals and the effects are mind boggling! How do you keep the cats from... erm.... investigating?! LOL.

10. Beardigger

It's almost all in closed display cabinets. Got to keep the Alexandrite glass locked up, it can be expensive. The perfume bottle I showed is a rare Baccarat Alexandrite piece and worth about $1200. They are making modern alexandrite glass which is affordable, but the original older pieces (1930's ) are very expensive. You might have to pay $100 for 1 goblet. Check out the price of this dinner plate......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HE...346454?hash=item3b51da8756:g:9wAAAOSwObdfrX0w

JeffC likes this.
  11. JeffC

So that's what it is! What about the last piece - the Bird vase - does it have any unique characteristics?

12. Beardigger

No it doesn't change color or anything. It's just a very uncommon design and a well made piece of glass. I have bever been able to track down the maker.

JeffC likes this.
  13. JeffC

@thomas mozzillo, @baseball21, @Insider, @Beardigger, @MIGuy
    I've got an update! I received a reply from NGC, but nothing yet from PCGS. From NGC's response, it looks like most of you are correct - they disregard the non-metallic portions of the coin. However, the reply was short and referred only to the two examples I cited, leaving us to extrapolate and generalize (at our risk) from there. I suppose PCGS (if they reply) might probably say something similar.

NGC Reply.jpg

thomas mozzillo and MIGuy like this.
  14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I consider the entire coin. For example, a Bitcoin with lines and skips in the hologram is downgraded.

JeffC likes this.
  15. JeffC

Thank you. I suppose when it comes to insets comprising of gemstones or artglass, it would be tougher to assess.
    (Having lots of problems accessing CoinTalk these couple of days. Takes a long time to refresh and then I get one of those web error messages.)

Draft saved Draft deleted