TPG "Sniffer"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Oldhoopster, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I’ve seen some comments in threads regarding a TPG “sniffer” used to detect any cleaning/dipping residue. I think I can put some pieces together but am looking for information to help understand how it works. Does anyone know how it operates (XRF, GC??) and what chemical(s) it detects.

I’m OK with educated guesses, especially from those guys who have chemistry and laboratory backgrounds (I think I know most of the regulars who fit into this category).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Well, first you need to know that PCGS only uses the sniffer on coins submitted for Secure Plus service. So there's no need to worry about it picking up something unless you submit under that tier.

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

They bring them to an airport and let the TSA dogs have a go at them.

ddddd likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, but the TSA dogs have a very short career, because they must undergo rehab for their addiction.

Chris

rickmp likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Interesting, one of these links identifies the "sniffer" as a mass spec while the other identifies it as an FTIR... They ain't the same guys. I think it is an FTIR which is an instrument that reflects infrared light off of an object and tries to see the surface materials present.

Draft saved Draft deleted