TPG-Independent Registry Set Service

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jackrabb1t, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jackrabb1t

jackrabb1t Well-Known Member

I've been kicking around the idea of an independent registry set service for a little while. It would accept certified coins for registry sets from multiple grading companies. As far as I'm aware no such service exists. I realize that NGC accepts both PCGS and NGC coins, but their registry sets are not independent of a TPG and, quite frankly, I think their website sucks.

I would like to gauge interest and start a discussion about this.
    1. Would you be interested in such a service?
    2. Only PCGS and NGC coins, or any TPG certified coins?
    3. How would you verify coin ownership?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Include ANACS

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Personally, I wouldn't want the hassle that goes with setting it up, organizing the options, verifying the coins, their attributions, etc.

You have to deal with collectors who cross or crack out coins and don't bother to notify the former grading service.

Suppose you included ANACS. Should you include the old white slab, the blue label and the yellow label? Which one is better? Is one worse than the others?

If you include ANACS, why not ICG or SEGS?

If you limit it to NGC and PCGS, what is the point? You would be competing with established registries, and why should people leave them for you.

I hope you have an answering service to screen all of your calls and a staff to respond to all of the e-mails.

Chris

PS. It sounds to me that something or someone irritated you at NGC, and this is the only reason you want to do this. I don't think it is a very good idea.

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

While I don't participate in registry sets, one of the reasons I don't is because I owe no particular allegiance to coins in either PCGS or NGC holders. Personally, I love your idea . . . it breaks up the whole perverted notion that people need to cross their coins from one service to another, just so all of their coins can be in the same holders.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Just so you know, NGC allows US coins in PCGS holders in their Registries.

Chris

ToughCOINS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted