TOWER

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cyrrhus, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Dear All,

Today I heard three funeral towers in Palmyra Syria are blown-up, what a waste, they of course removed from all goods they can sell and then blow it up. the funeral temple have not so much to do with faith only with greed and profit.
    I am wondering where the goods will end up, also from the temple of Bel, see picture of the sealing and front.
    See enclosed personal pictures and how the towers looked and some coin pictures and two from Apamea.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...looting-ancient-sites-iraq-syria-archaeology/
    IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0147.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Such a shame, waste & sickening.

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

It breaks my heart and leaves me with bottomless rage to read and see what that those maniacs are doing to humanity and our heritage....

5. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, very interesting...but also very sad. To think that these cities have been around for over 2,000 years, but are now being destroyed almost overnight. Abominable!!

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Those barbarians should be captured and chained to the rock, left to rebuild a shelter from the sun with nothing but the rubble they have at hand.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I can't even begin to comment on my thoughts regarding this.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I share everyone's deepest regrets.

What is really sad is that these monuments have stood for thousands of years, have stood during various political, religious, and cultural regimes with a minimal of disturbance.

Why is it that a fanatical religious group is so INSECURE in their religious beliefs, that they must destroy others? If they were truly secure in their beliefs, why would these monuments / symbols be a THREAT to their beliefs???

And then, they issue a series of coins that SYMBOLIZE their regime?

A Saving Grace to this all: we are in the information age that many of these monuments and treasures from antiquity have been stored in our memories, books, photos, databases, specification sheets, architectural records, etc. LOL, Mankind has the last laugh: you may try to stamp out the physical monument, but it will never be forgotten in our minds and records...so the monuments live on well beyond their legacy!

9. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Good God when will it end?

10. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

oooo sorry for my bad Englisch text with spelling mistakes, I was quite frustrated, I think the Assyrians, Greek Seleucids, Parthians, Sassaniden and Roman would know how to deal with IS.

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Cyrrhus your message was well understood. No need to apologize. Thank you for your information.

12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Draft saved Draft deleted