Total Beginner Looking for the Next Step

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jfp7375, May 17, 2022.

1. I am a relative newbie myself, so I get it. When I first realized I could 'own' and have Roman history to myself-I did two things: bought uncleaned batch-around a $1 a-piece (10 I think). Only 1 was any good. And naturally I cleaned that one first. It was a very interesting experience. Right off I identified it as Constantine "Roma" with the (reverse) symbol of the wolf suckling Romulus and Remus. Even so it had a crack in it but didn't diminish it to me. As for the rest: I eventually got around to cleaning them too. Very small broken cull coins. But mildly interesting. At the same time I thought I would take a risk and get a "Vespasion" that had a personal meaning to me. It turns out that I recently discovered the seller was on the "Notorious Fake Seller" list. So I don't know. I recently made some comparisons-maybe yes-maybe no. What I want to say is that obtaining post-Constantine coins will not be a problem. The hyper-inflation of those times, endless expensive wars, the 'decline' was well underway. Unless you have a fondness for late Empire, you will be coming up with fairly much of the same coin and will sooner or later become bored with it. To go backwards, requires care and caution. Buying from long established reputable dealers could increase your premium up to 3 times-depends on your budget and what kind of collection you want and for what purpose. I had a few screwballs.Once I got lucky and an uncleaned coin turned out to be early. Another time a goof thought he sold me a Roman coin but turns out to be Greek much older-possibly Alexander even-though not in great condition. ILLEGIMATI NON CARBORUNDEM.

sand and Roman Collector like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Yeah. The post is about four years old now. Maybe in a bit if I get some energy I will update it. Something like that could probably be productively revisited every four or five years.

Clavdivs likes this.
  5. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

I've evolved to wanting quality over quantity. I'll still go for various rare or expensive types in decrepit condition (i.e. coins which would be out of my budget in great condition), but I generally get more satisfaction from a very nice type.

It's sounds like the OP enjoys the thrill of the hunt and attributing coins.

Jon Kern is one of the few who had a pick bin at virtually every price. It could be $30, or $1200, depending upon the bag.

Jfp7375 likes this.
  6. Jfp7375

Jfp7375 Member

I imagine I'll eventually progress to appreciating quality vs. quantity as well. But when you've never held a 1700 year old coin before, any little thing will get you excited.

I do think that even once I exit my "newbie honeymoon" phase, I will still always care more about the history and design of the coin than I will about the condition/grade. Once I can make out the detail and lettering there are diminishing returns for me as the grade increases

sand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted