Top Ten Denarii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I never thought that I would have accumulated so many denarii during 2017. This is not all of them. I plan to add more in 2018. The display case may or may not come to be—This is just an idea for a case that can be viewed from both front and back without removing the coin capsules.

NEXTBOX.jpg

Dafydd, ancientone, TJC and 32 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A very nice selection and presentation.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice group!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice DR.

Dafydd and Deacon Ray like this.
  6. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

A beautiful group! Does the die alignment of each of those denarii happen to work with being able to turn it around to view the reverses with the correct orientation, or will it require them to be turned?

I wonder if museums/collectors who display their coins would justifiably pay a premium for consistent die alignments. Digital images are so much easier...

lordmarcovan and Deacon Ray like this.
  7. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

That's a very nice group and presentation.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Nice, I like the Vespasian :rolleyes:

Deacon Ray likes this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Quite nice @Deacon Ray ! Some great scores in there.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  10. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins @Deacon Ray! But while I like your coins, I am really excited about your new coin holder/viewer. It is so practical and useful. It really solves a problem. I think it has got to be a great seller. If the cost could be kept reasonable, I could use at least one for my favorite coins right now. And they could be used to house coins long term instead of binders. I love the idea!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Yeah, I've got a bunch of binders full of coins. Not the easiest thing to look at and pretty inadequate for display

Deacon Ray likes this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice set

Q

Deacon Ray likes this.
  13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I won't quibble with a top ten that features six Flavians. Well done!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  14. Deacon Ray

Yes, the coins are in alignment in the layout as they would appear when flipped. For example the Julia denarius obverse view on the top right is on the top left on the reverse (blue side).

Severus Alexander likes this.
  15. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Wow, Deacon Ray, sweet coinage!

That Tribute Penny is top notch!

Erin

Deacon Ray likes this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That is a GREAT looking group of denari @Deacon Ray !

And as ususal, you've make a kicking display! (Do you have the eagle and the seated female reverses mixed around? Titus and Tiberius?)

Deacon Ray likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Great virtual display. How difficult to make one in actuality?

Do you keep your coins in AirTites like that?

I see the Divus Vespasian capricorn type I like.

Kind of hard not to notice the Tribute Penny, too.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

I think @AncientJoe was referring more to the actual die rotation of the coins. It's hard to imagine the reverses would be so consistently right-side-up vis-a-vis the obverses, since the die axis probably varied considerably on the actual coins?

It's an interesting question about whether museums would hypothetically pay a premium for coins with a consistent rotation.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  19. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Very nice set of denarii.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  20. Deacon Ray

Now I understand @AncientJoe 's question better. Thank you, Lord Marc! The die rotation (if the obverse sides were aligned correctly) would cause many of the reverses to be angled and rotated. I need to work on that one.

LaCointessa likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Not really. It's only an issue if you construct this holder as a physical thing.

For the virtual version we're seeing here, as far as display goes, it's better to see the coins all right-side-up. But that's why some people record the die axis on their coins (in degrees). Me, I've never been that detailed with my statistics, personally. I just show the primary images- which of course are usually in that "shadowbox" template you and @AncientJoe have been so helpful with). Then, as a way of showing not only the die axis but also the general size of the coin, I'll show the alternate slab images. (Obviously that last thing is not going to apply to most folks here who abhor the plastic coffins.)

This discussion had me looking at my ancients, and most of them seem to be fairly consistently aligned, though the owl looks a tiny bit rotated on this one.

PS- FORVM did list this as having a 180-degree die axis, though, so I suppose it's not really that rotated after all.

I'm discovering that the ancients seem to have been a bit more consistent about this than subsequent eras. Interesting. I suspect if I were to I check my medieval coins, that might be a different story...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Deacon Ray, TJC, Mikey Zee and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted