Top ten Coins of Domitian for 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Lovely collection! It must have been difficult to choose.....
    My fav is no..7 I love the style and the toning..

Orfew likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Man O man, Orfew, that #5 is BOLD:jimlad:! #4 is also very striking to my eye:artist:. What a beautiful bunch of Domitians:cigar: Coingrats on an amazing year!

Orfew likes this.
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, 2019 was more like 81 CE for you!! Some stellar coins in that lineup, and a beautiful slate overall.

I'm not about to jump on the Flavian bandwagon, but I do appreciate the education you and David have given me on these. A post-reform denarius is currently on my want list, so I have a special appreciation for the Salus (#8)... great coin! Also I'm a portrait guy, like you, and enjoy those you singled out for special attention. I think my favourite is the early style #2. Maybe a new photo would show it off better? My photography skills don't match some of the others on this board, but I would be happy to offer my services for free if you let me fondle the coin for a week or two. :woot:

I bought this Domitian for the portrait style:
    Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 12.01.18 PM.jpg

I'm looking forward to the day when our Flaviophiles get into AE provincials...

5. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great additions @Orfew. The portrait of #5 is amazing.

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a lovely portrait @Severus Alexander . You have a great eye. Yours is rated common and is RIC 572. Here is a variant of yours. It is much rarer. It is RIC 573. Note that instead of GERM in the obverse legend it has GERMAN instead. Notice the similarity in portraits between our 2 coins. This one was misattributed by a major auction house.

Domitian RIC 573.jpg

7. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on an awesome year @Orfew you picked up some lovely coins. My favorite, being ignorant of the complexities of the coinage, is #4. That is a coin that would have tempted my non-Roman collecting heart.

Orfew likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What a splendid selection of Domitians! Not having any Flavian expertise, my favorite is the one that simply appeals to me eye the most, #5. What a lovely coin that is!

Orfew likes this.
  9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I very much like the specialized nature of your list. Being absolutely ignorant of the finer details of Flavian coinage, my favorite would be your no. 7. The aegis and Domitian's smug smile make it stand out to me.

Rom – Domitian, denarius, Minerva.png
    Domitian, Roman Empire, denarius, 88/89 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM PM TR P VIII, laureate head of Domitian right. Rev: IMP XIX COS XIIII CENS PP, Minerva standing left holding thunderbolt and spear, leaning on shield. 19mm, 3.22g. Ref: RIC II (2007), 669.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love the reverse on yours @dougsmit. Rarely see the facial features on Minerva

12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great list @Orfew . I was holding off on commenting on this thread until I had some time to read through it better. My favorites;

#5 - Really nice coin in really great condition. This is one of those coins you can tell the toning is probably even nicer in hand than it is in the photo.

#4 - A lot of eye appeal on display with this one. It is very good style. I especially like the reverse.

Orfew likes this.
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, the one I prefer is the Domitian ! :)
    That's the privilege of specializing to find differences and interest where plebeians see nothing but dead bore! Excellent selection !

One day I'll show you my 78 different Dombes liards :D

My only domitian denarius

[​IMG]

Q

14. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I don’t know enough about the coinage of Domitian to have an informed comment. But number 4’s portrait really had great eye appeal for me. Kudos on rising to the challenge of focusing on a particular emperor, at least for a while. A great list.

Orfew likes this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

My favorite it #5 because of the way the snakes are rendered on Minerva's aegis. The look like they are still alive!

16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Curtisimo likes this.
  17. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Your Domitian coins are great, @Orfew ! I believe that my interest in Domitian period Judaean coinage has been largely inspired by your excellent collection and your superb CTAF postings.

agrippa_ii_domitian_2.jpg

Orfew, Curtisimo, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  18. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I like like #8 for being different and #5 and #4 for good portraits and overall eye appeal, although others are really nice, too.

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Wonderful coins!

20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I really dig number 5, great portrait, some toning, sexy flow lines...awesome!

Draft saved Draft deleted