Top Ten 2020 - svessien

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by svessien, Nov 30, 2020.

?

Which coins do you like best? Please vote.

1. 1. Claudius II Gothicus BI Antoninanus

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. 2. Appius Claudius Pulcher, AR Denarius 111-110 BC

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 3. Romanus IV Diogenes with Eudocia, Michael VII, Constantius, and Andronicus

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 4. Bruttium, The Brettii. AR Drachm, 216-214 BC.

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. 5. Sicily, Syracuse, AR Tetradrachm

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. 6. Caligula, Caesarea in Cappadocia, Ar Drachm 37-38 AD

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. 7. Diocletian Argenteus. Nicomedia, 286 AD

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. 8. C. Pansa and Albinus Bruti f. 48 BC. AR Denarius

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  9. 9. Canute the Great, penny, Lincoln 1016–1035

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  10. 10. Claudius AR Denarius

30 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I would love to have one like yours, @Bing!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Two key pieces for a 12 Caesars set in silver in one year is impressive. The Claudius being a beautiful example on top of that is even more impressive. I picked that, the Claudius Gothicus and the Diocletian as my favourites.

svessien likes this.
  4. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

The Claudius den. is enviable

svessien likes this.
  5. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great additions to your collection, in that sense it must have been a good year for you. Congratulations! And what coins for a 12C's set in silver are you looking for? Or have you now completed your set?

I voted for the Bruttium drachm, the Diocletian argenteus (which is really neat!) and, of course, the Claudius denarius. The latter is the cherry on the cake (pie, ice?), lovely coin!

svessien likes this.
  6. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Excellent coins, my favorites are 1, 4 and 10.

svessien likes this.
  7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Thank you :) I «finished» the 12 Caesar set this year. Now only upgrading remains.....

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The Claudius denarius is my favorite as well... how could it not be. It's a most desirable type, and your example shows in fullness it's undeniable charms. :shame: I'm a fan of the other Claudius on your list as well. For an emperor whose coins are arguably the worst produced of any non-usurper, that is a standout specimen.

svessien likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Eye-popping additions to your collection, @svessien! You are justifiably proud of the denarii of Claudius and Caligula. I also like the antoninianus of Claudius II. That same issue made my top 10 list for 2018.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    svessien likes this.
  10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

As many others, my #1 choice would be the Claudius denarius. The two others I picked are the Pansa and the Pulcher/triga

Excellent selection all together. A great year of collecting for you as it seems

Q

svessien likes this.
  11. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Very nice coins, congratulations ! , Claudius is my preferred but the C.Pansa denarius is very close.

svessien likes this.
  12. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Very nice coins indeed @svessien! My favorite is the spectacular Claudius denarius!

svessien likes this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great list @svessien . My favorites are your Claudius denarius (fantastic coin), your Diocletian argentius, and your Claudius Pulcher denarius (what a beautiful reverse design).

svessien likes this.
  14. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Thank you all for kind comments. I feel I need to spend this Christmas holiday reading up on @dougsmit ’s home page, about Syracuse tetradrachms and their die breaks :)

It has been great to look at the top 10 lists here. I’m inspired by those that plan and research their purchases better than me; I’ve always been an opportunist with a wide interest. I hope to post a list next year that reflects development in that direction.

It has been fun to buy many coins this year. I hope it will be fun to buy few coins next year, with a different approach. I’ll always be a general collector of coins, arts musical instruments and last but not least great impressions and memories. That’s the most important collection of them all.

5B1BADE2-8335-4ED3-B591-829CC15D1CA1.jpeg

Johndakerftw and Curtisimo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted