Top of the World - Lacchavi Style (AD 400 - 750)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

In my quest to obtain an example of each of the ancient and medieval kingdoms, I came across a new (to me) coin type. This coin was first made apparent to me in discussion on another board. It was struck in the late 6th to early 7th centuries AD in the Kathmandu Valley in Nepal. I do not have a reference for these coins and internet search results are slim to nil on specifics, only turning around general information about the Lacchavi Kingdom (~AD 400 -750) and little on the coin series.

nepal-map_3.gif
    The coin comes from what is considered the Golden Age of the Licchavi. The origin of the Licchavi is shrouded in mystery, but there is another mention of a Licchavi clan in the same relatively small region that dates back to the Indian Vedic Period. (BC 1750 -500). The is little evidence that the clan and the kingdom are related to each other. One theory is that the Licchavi originated in India and migrated to the Kathmandu Valley, where trade between China, India and Tibet made this place prosperous. The Licchavi used Sanskrit for coins and official inscriptions eluding to a tight cultural tie with the Empire of the Guptas of India.

a5eaa2ffc8c9c5fe440d2170bc32e614.jpg

In the Kingdom of the Licchavi Buddhist and Hindu faiths coexisted peacefully for hundreds of years. The Licchavi period was responsible for a great number of religious Stelle and Temples throughout the Himalayan region.

For further reading on the Kingdom of the Licchavi see wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licchavi_(kingdom)

In general these Licchavi coins are quite scarce. They tend to be hard to find and even harder to find in VF+ condition. I found this coin and two others on the 'bay from a reputible numismatist in Kathmandu, Nepal of all places. Of the three pieces this one was the most well centered and complete, with a nice even and stable patina. The coin is highly magnetic, and quite substantial in hand. These coin are struck in Iron or a very high Iron Alloy. (Hum...I might try to test the SG this one.)

The coin was attriuted by the seller as Rhodes #5. or GVR #5 for the text ...

The coinage of Nepal: from the earliest times until 1911 Unknown Binding – 1989
    by N G. Rhodes (Author), K. Gabrisch (Author), C Valdettaro Pontecorvo Della Rocchetta (Author)

I do not own this text and I am still working on understanding the Inscription. I find the coin exceptionally cool because it is the first inscribed Nepalese coin and the denomination is named after the third and most popular ruler of the dynasty.

The coin is attributed as...

Kathmandu, Nepal
    Licchavi Kingdom (AD ~400 - 750)
    King Sivadeva I (AD 576 - 605)
    Fe Mananka 25 mm x 12.10 grams
    Obverse: Lion left with Paw raised. Sanskrit Legend.
    Reverse: Seated Deity with fingers raised. Sanskrit Legend. Sri Mananka
    Reference: Rhodes #5 RGV 1.2 Zeno #129468
    Prov. Ex. Dinesh Maskey (Kathmandu, Nepal)
    Note: First Coinage of the Licchavi. Scarce, but common sub-type.

lacchvicc.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Interesting coin and great writeup.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great write up and a very cool coin.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Interesting as always AN!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats on another neat find!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, what a cool coin! another coin you've post that i had no clue existed.
    kind of has an indo-scythian feel with that lion.

great write up also, thanks for posting!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  8. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Great you found a nice specimen to tick of this dynasty from you want list !
    A few additions:
    The Brahmi text on the lion side reads "Sri Manaka". The deity is goddes Lakshmi, the legend on this side reads "Sri Bhogini".

Ancientnoob and TIF like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool Lion-addition, my Noobish-friend (yah, I'm definitely jealous of that puppy)

:rolleyes:

Oh, and thanks for the map & statue effort (always an added bonus)

Cheers

Ancientnoob likes this.
  10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice write up and a fascinating piece as usual AN!

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted