Top my holy grail coin ? YES!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by spirityoda, Dec 26, 2014.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Today I bought the coin of my lifetime. yes it was very expensive to me anyways ($750.00). I upgraded my other coin to this NGC 1832 10 centimes MS-65 RB. since I have not seen another grade like this 1 since 10 years ago... I pounced on this graded 1. sellers pics...my pics when I get it.
    $fffgggf_57.JPG
    $kmmmmhjjj_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    I am doing the happy coin dance now. beyond happy about this coins grade. I would have traded more than half of my coin collection for this coin. I did have the money for this coin. Coin euphoria! :D not sure if I will sell/trade my AU-58 version of this coin. ???

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    furryfrog02, brg5658, jj00 and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Cool coin and cool cert number.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

fred13 likes this.
  6. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

Totally understand. On another note I wouldn't let the sticker shock bother you too much. The quality of that piece will outlive its monetary costs and is a much better buy imo then several coins of lesser value or even the same coin in a lesser grade

7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Congrats Yoda! It's a beautiful 10 Centimes.
    I think the Belgians had perhaps the best coins quality-wise of the early 19th century.

spirityoda likes this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I agree with that totally. the seller told me of a MS-63 selling at auction at heritage for $970.00 so I think and honestly believe I got a great deal and a bargain at $750.00. the funny part is I will never part with this coin. this coin is going with me when I die. lol NO. just sounded funny. I will not sell it for a very long time. it is now thee king of my collection. 1 I will cherish for a long long time.

fred13 likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would agree with you on that. I also like early Germany coins, Thailand coins, and Morocco coins.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I do have a question for you coin veterans. I am thinking down the road I want to put this coin in a new NGC slab. what do you guys think about that ? do it or leave it alone ? this coin is tied for the highest grade (MS-65) for this coin graded by NGC.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

well.... I had more time to look at his coins at auction. OMG some of those coins are so amazing. the gold coins are so great. the silver 5 francs wow, I had never seen some of the pattern coins were also cool to finally see them. what amazing coins. did you get any of them ?

12. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Beautiful coin. I really like 19th century large copper pieces like that.

spirityoda likes this.
  13. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

The auction actually closes in two weeks. But I won't be getting any of them. My financial situation is very similar to yours right now and while I do like Belgian coins they take a backseat to my main collection.
    There is one coin in particular though that I have been on the lookout for over a year now in quality condition and would jump at the opportunity to own one. The 1901 50 centime coin
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419653921.089029.jpg

spirityoda likes this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have seen this type coin before. I do like it and want it some day. what do you collect in your main collection ?

15. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

Unless the future slab is milestones better for conservation than today's slab I wouldn't bother.

More so I've noticed collectors like older style slabs like the one your 10 centimes is housed in.

Finally playing the registry game is pointless imo. It's a nice coin. I wouldn't waste money nor derive satisfaction in having it regraded as a 66 in the best scenario

16. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

Albanian and Italian of the early 20th century with minor dabbling in French and Greek coinage across all periods

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would be ok with the same grade, but being able to see the edge of the coin and having Belgium spelled out I think would look better. I think I will leave it alone in it's original slab.

Kasia likes this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like early and modern Italy coins. early French coin look amazing... copper and gold. I think I have seen some Albanian coins before...

19. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I would advise you to take two points into consideration should you decide to reholder the coin. The first is that the surfaces and color are at this time likely stable since this coin has been in this holder for upwards of two decades, but if it were to be placed into a new holder then it may end up turning more brown. Additionally, the market often places a higher price or greater liquidity on older holder coins. That is, the same coin in an older holder is often more desirable. I realize you do not want to sell the coin, but at some point in the future you may find that for whatever reason you would like to move it and, if so, the older holder may be your friend.

Kasia and spirityoda like this.
  20. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

That is a beauty of a coin. I think the seller's pics are not so great, and would bet that it looks better in hand than pictured. I think you did pretty well at the price you paid. If not for the weak striking on the peripheral areas around the rim, it would have a great shot at 66, but I wouldn't bother having it regraded if you are hoping for an upgrade. This is pretty typical on these and if you wanted a fully struck piece in this condition you would be broke for real. Congrats dude :)

Kasia and spirityoda like this.
  21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I made up my mind. I will leave in the original holder. thank you both for your advice. I will take new pics of it with my girlfriends new Nikon camera when I get this coin.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted