Top 9 for '17

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientone, Dec 12, 2017.

1. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Peloponnesian coins first, the rest are in no particular order.

Caphyae.jpg Achaea, Arcadia, Caphyae. Septimius Severus Æ22 Obv: Laureate head right.
    Rev: KAΦYI ATΩN / Artemis, with veil billowing, running left, head right, holding torch and bow.
    22mm., 5.2gm.
    BCD Peloponnesos 1385.

Patras.jpg Achaea, Achaea, Patras(Patrae). Sabina Æ20 Obv: SABINA AVG / Draped bust of Sabina, r., hair coiled and piled on top of head above triple stephane.
    Rev: COL A A PATREN / Man naked running l. to altar, looking back, holding box in his l. hand.
    BCD Peloponnesos 552.5

argos.jpg Argos, Argolis. AR Hemidrachm Obv: Forepart of wolf left.
    Rev: A in shallow square incuse; below, pellet.
    468-421 B.C.
    SNG Cop 2

apamea.jpg Phrygia, Apamea. Demos AE24
    Obv: ΔΗΜΟϹ / bare head of the Demos (youthful), r.
    Rev: ΑΠΑΜƐΩΝ / tree

cons.jpg Constantine I, AD 306-337. SARMATIA DEVICTA Obv: CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: SARMATIA DEVICTA, Victory advancing right, holding trophy on right arm, branch in left hand, spurning captive seated on ground right, head turned back,
    PTR(cresent) in ex.
    Trier 323-4 AD

Clipboard4~9.jpg Syria, Laodicea ad Mare. Elagabalus AE18. Obv: Laureate head right.
    Rev: Turreted bust of Tyche in distyle arched shrine.
    BMC 101, Lindgren I 2100A .

Clipboard~5.jpg
    Pisidia, Termessos Major. Æ30
    Obv: TEΡMHCCEΩN AVTONOMWN Θ, laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev: TΩN MEIZONΩN, Tyche standing left, wearing kalathos, holding rudder and cornucopiae, Θ in left field.
    AD 238-268.

z1.jpg Licinius I. AE Follis. 315 AD. Alexandria. Obv: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS PF AVG, laureate head right.
    Rev: IOVI CONSER-VATORI AVGG, Jupiter standing left,
    chlamys across left shoulder, holding Victory on
    globe and sceptre, eagle with wreath left.
    Wreath over H over N in right field
    Mintmark ALE.
    RIC VII Alexandria 10, R2.

Massalia~0.jpg
    Gaul, Massalia, Marseille. Æ12.
    Obv: MAC / Laureate head of Apollo r.
    Rev: NM / Dolphin on trident.
    After 49BC.

I sold this coin close to 20 years ago and reacquired it in 2016. It was finally identified this year on Forvm. If you rotate the reverse counter clockwise it resembles a Capricorn.

Massalia~0r.jpg .

galba68, Daniel_R6, Ryro and 31 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Wow! What are the chances you could reacquire a coin you sold 20 years ago? Was that hard to arrange?

I like your favorite coins @ancientone. They're beautiful!

panzerman and ancientone like this.
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That is an unusual and intriguing reverse on the Sabina Patrae... the guy looks like he's absconding with the sacrifice! And I'd love to hear more of the story about the small Massalia bronze! Slam dunk on the provincials this year, eh? :)

zumbly and ancientone like this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, that Constantine Sarmatia Devicta is great.

ancientone likes this.
  6. ancientone

Thank you @LaCointessa. Both transactions were via E-bay so it was just luck.

@Severus Alexander: RPC identifies the Patrae as a man holding a box. I would love to know who he is.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Nice color on that Constantine I, cool toned wolf, totally dig demos/tree and how cool is it you ran into an old friend again?!

ancientone likes this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A very cool group! I like The argos hemidrachm a lot.

ancientone likes this.
  9. alde

alde Always Learning

Nice coins anchientone. I'm really enjoying these top for the year lists.

ancientone likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I like the hint of cabinet toning, the incuse punch, and the silver of the Argolis hemidrachm. Also found the Apamaea AE24 with the tree on it appealing.

They're all nice, of course.

PS- it's neat to be reunited with one's past coins, isn't it? Especially after 20+ years.

I sold this one in 1994 and reacquired it in 2016 after stumbling across it on the Atlas Numismatics site. (Had to pay 5x what I'd sold it for in '94, but it was worth it.)

benhur767 and ancientone like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What an excellent list! The wear and toning of the Argolis hemidrachm makes it more attractive than many of these you see, at least in my eyes. It’s also so cool that you reacquired and then attributed that Marseille from 20 years ago. My favourite is probably the Sabina Patrae... it has a great look and an intriguing reverse.

ancientone likes this.
  12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I love the reverse on the Elagabalus from Laodicaea!

ancientone likes this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

A terrific group---each with individually specific visual appeal....and the 'Patrae' example is my favorite. Who is that naked man holding the box?!?:confused::p

ancientone likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sorry. That was me.

Hey, what can I say ... there were donuts in that box! (Bavarian cream ones, at that.) I didn't think anyone was watching, or I'd have put some clothing on. (We were a bit more nonchalant about nudity back then.) And how was I to know the donut heist would make it onto a coin?

So now you know I'm just a little bit older than my profile indicates. When you're immortal, you have to keep that (and the occasional donut heist) under wraps, or it'll freak people out.

Purloined donuts notwithstanding, you'll notice I was much thinner back then. 1,800 years or so can take a toll on you, even when you're one of the undead.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  15. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

ancientone likes this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NICE snares Oh Great and @ancientone ! A cat-of-nine-tails of Ancients! I would take the ALL! Even those Empire ones. :D

How cool is that! You captured your own coin back into your collection! Did it escape? Run away? How could let a coin get away...

I really like the Phrygian AE. I only have one Phrygian coin, but I showed it recently... How about a Phrygian DOG?

RR Anon AE Half-Litra 234-231 BC Roma Phrygian Dog S 598 Cr 26-4.jpg
    RR Anon AE Half-Litra 234-231 BC Roma Phrygian Dog Sear 598 Cr 26-4

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Interesting and eclectic series

Q

ancientone likes this.
  18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You got some really interesting coins Ancientone! I like the one with the wolf:happy:! Pretty neat....I seems amazing to get a coin back that you sold 20 years ago:cigar:

ancientone likes this.
  19. ancientone

@lordmarcovan: After finding out it was you on the reverse I took it to my dealer. He informed me that "nude lordmarcovan carring donut" types are are very common and not worth a lot. :D

When I was a seller/collector I let it go probably because it was unidentified. Now I just collect. Please don't address me as "oh great and ancientone". You left out magnificent.

Thanks to everyone for the kind replies!

20. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Since you mentioned rotating a coin, have you noticed that if you rotate the obverse of the Argos hemidrachm 180°, it looks like a squirrel? :smuggrin:

ancientone likes this.
  21. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

See the squirrel?? Sorry, I'm in a particularly silly mood today.

20171213_183919.jpg

Curtisimo, Kasia, randygeki and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted